Bruno Senna awarded Lorenzo Bandini TrophyJuly 17th, 2012 - 5:44 pm ICT by IANS
Grove (England), July 17 (IANS) Williams’ Formula One driver Bruno Senna collected the Lorenzo Bandini Trophy in the picturesque town of Brisighella, Italy, awarded to him for showing great promise at the beginning of his racing career.
In front of a large crowd of enthusiastic grand prix fans, the presentation ceremony Monday saw Bruno presented with the trophy given in the memory of Lorenzo Bandini, the leading Italian driver at the time of his tragic death at the 1967 Monaco Grand Prix.
The trophy was presented to Bruno in an open air amphitheatre and is a ceramic replica of Bandini’s famous number 18 Formula One Ferrari and was first awarded to Ivan Capelli in 1992.
The event has become an annual pilgrimage for the fans who line the streets to pay tribute to the late Ferrari driver while also celebrating their new heroes. Past winners of the Bandini Trophy include Jacques Villeneuve, Felipe Massa, Robert Kubica, David Coulthard, Alex Wurz, Juan Pablo Montoya and Fernando Alonso.
Commenting on the honour, Bruno said: “We had a really sunny day and I felt extremely welcomed here by the people in Brisighella. The event was a great success with many of my Italian fan club also coming along which was great to see. The town really came alive.
“It’s a huge honour to be chosen to receive such a prestigious award. I’ve seen some of the names who have won this in the past and what they have gone on to achieve in their careers, so let’s hope this is just the start of greater things for me too.”
- 'Baby Schumi' keeps alive German legacy in Formula One - Oct 30, 2011
- Maldonado wins maiden F1 race, Hulkenberg comes 10th - May 13, 2012
- Force India finish out of points at British GP - Jul 08, 2012
- Vettel crowned World Champion at FIA Gala, Buddh Circuit awarded - Dec 10, 2011
- Renault F1 team name three drivers to replace injured Kubica - Feb 09, 2011
- German GP: Alonso zooms to second straight pole - Jul 21, 2012
- Di Resta, Sutil to start 11th and 12th in Italian Grand Prix - Sep 10, 2011
- Injured Kubica's already eyeing F1 return - Feb 10, 2011
- Hamilton glides to Monza victory - Sep 09, 2012
- Button fastest in rain-hit German Grand Prix first practice - Jul 20, 2012
- FIA GT1 World Championship: Budh International to host 2012 season final - Feb 13, 2012
- Hamilton leads McLaren resurgence - Jul 27, 2012
- Domineering Hamilton wins Hungarian GP - Jul 29, 2012
- A race in Moscow would benefit F1: Fisichella - Jun 06, 2012
- Senna voted greatest Formula One driver of all time - Dec 15, 2009
Tags: alex wurz, brisighella, bruno senna, david coulthard, felipe massa, fernando alonso, ferrari driver, italian driver, italian fan club, ivan capelli, jacques villeneuve, juan pablo montoya, large crowd, lorenzo bandini, monaco grand prix, number 18, picturesque town, presentation ceremony, prestigious award, robert kubica