Briton ‘drives’ furniture, sets new world recordSeptember 7th, 2010 - 7:27 pm ICT by IANS
London, Sep 7 (IANS) A British inventor has set a new world record for “driving” a piece of furniture on a racetrack.
Perry Watkins, from Buckinghamshire, fitted an engine and wheels under a dining table named “Fast Food” and drove it at a top speed of 206 km an hour and comfortably broke the previous record of 148 km per hour set by a “sofa vehicle” in 2007.
Watkins, 47, broke the record at a 500-metre track in Northamptonshire’s Santa Pod Raceway, the Daily Telegraph reported Tuesday.
He has put together a number of unusual cars with his own hands and Fast Food took about a year to build in his garage, Watkins said.
He was previously the record holder for the world’s lowest car and still lays claim to having built the smallest car ever made, by attaching a 150cc engine to a toy van.
- Perry Watkins Of Buckinghamshire In Britain Establishes A Fresh World Record Of Driving Furniture On A Track - Sep 08, 2010
- Perry Watkins Of Buckinghamshire Is All Set To Enlist His Name In Guinness Book - Sep 08, 2010
- Brit inventor sets world record after driving dining table at 113mph - Sep 07, 2010
- Perry Watkins of Buckinghamshire Attempts Guinness Fastest Furniture Record - Sep 08, 2010
- Buckinghamshire inhabitant Perry Watkins creates a record for the fastest piece of furniture - Sep 08, 2010
- World's Smallest Car: 'Wind Up' Built by Perry Watkins - Nov 11, 2010
- Curiosity wiggles wheels ahead of first drive on Mars - Aug 22, 2012
- Overzealous fan nearly ruined Mark Webber's home grand prix - Mar 27, 2011
- Indian inventor claims to have made 'flying car' - Feb 14, 2011
- Indian Army soldier sets power hang gliding record - Feb 17, 2012
- Car exhaust fumes kill Chinese couple - Aug 08, 2011
- 10-year-old becomes Russia's youngest inventor - Apr 07, 2012
- British designer designs speedy, luxurious futuristic train - Jul 22, 2010
- Apple's new iWatch can be worn on wrist - Sep 09, 2010
- 'Thirdhand smoke' bigger health hazard than suspected - Jan 13, 2011
Tags: british inventor, briton, buckinghamshire, daily telegraph, dining table, fast food, london, metre track, new world record, northamptonshire, piece of furniture, racetrack, santa pod raceway, sofa, top speed, unusual cars, watkins, wheels