British PM plays tennis with London mayorSeptember 9th, 2011 - 8:00 pm ICT by IANS
London, Sep 9 (IANS) British Prime Minister David Cameron and London Mayor Boris Johnson played a game of tennis with wheelchair-bound players to promote the Paralympic Games that will be held just after the 2012 London Olympics.
The match was held Thursday in London’s Trafalgar Square to celebrate the International Paralympic Day, the Daily Mail reported.
In the intensely competitive match, Cameron got the better of his “portly” opponent Johnson. The final score, however, was not mentioned.
The Paralympics, which will follow the London Olympics, will be held Aug 29 to Sep 9.
London 2012 chairman Sebastian Coe said the tournament will be a success, despite concerns that rains may cause disturbance.
“I have never been at a sporting event where the atmosphere has been diminished because it has been raining.”
“We have a lot of things within our control and a lot of things that are not within our control. We don’t really have a hotline to headquarters up there. The weather will be what it will be,” Coe said.
- London launches Paralympic torch relay - Aug 24, 2012
- Beckham, five young guns to bring Olympic Flame to UK - May 16, 2012
- Sebastian Coe dismisses concerns over security of London 2012 - Dec 10, 2011
- Coe promises 'safe and secure' Games - Jul 21, 2012
- London Olympics 500-day countdown clock unveiled - Mar 15, 2011
- Trafalgar Square's Olympic Clock stops working - Mar 16, 2011
- Sebastian Coe launches Olympic bicycles - Dec 11, 2011
- Coe hails Olympic test events a success - May 10, 2012
- Olympic rings launched on Thames - Feb 29, 2012
- London Paralympics Games organisers launch short film - Aug 27, 2010
- Increase in 2012 Olympics budget is investment for London's future: Coe - Dec 12, 2011
- Paralympic torch and relay route unveiled - Mar 01, 2012
- Cricket overshadowing other sports in India: Sebastian Coe - Apr 28, 2011
- 2012 London Olympics torch relay to pass through 1,000 places - Nov 07, 2011
- Overseas businesses in London see benefits from 2012 Olympics - Jun 17, 2011
Tags: 2012 london olympics, boris johnson, british prime minister, daily mail, david cameron, final score, london 2012, london mayor, match, mayor london, minister david, olympics, opponent, paralympic day, paralympic games, paralympics, sebastian coe, trafalgar square, weather, wheelchair