Brisbane ODI win would be priceless for Queensland flood victims: WatsonJanuary 29th, 2011 - 2:51 pm ICT by ANI
Brisbane, Jan 29(ANI): Australian all-rounder Shane Watson reckons that a series-clinching win in Sunday’s fifth ODI against England in Brisbane would prove priceless for the Queensland flood victims.
Moved by the fighting spirit in the devastated state, Watson said that players would donate the match fees along with an Australian Cricketers’ Association contribution totalling 190,000 dollars to the flood appeal.
However, Watson believes that the best gift they can give is a win at what will be an emotion-charged Gabba.
“Hopefully it (series) is not alive after Sunday - it (victory) would be really fitting for this game on Sunday,” the Age quoted Watson, as saying.
“There is going to be so much emotion around the ground after what has happened. Hopefully we can continue to provide the inspiration and put a good game together.”
“From when the floods first happened, this game was always earmarked as a really big day to raise as many funds as we can. Hopefully it also lifts us to get over the line and win the series,” he added.
Australia currently leads the seven-match series 3-1. (ANI)
- Watson out to end his hoodoo at Gabba - Nov 06, 2010
- Australia's ODI crowds crisis touches all-time low in Brisbane - Nov 08, 2010
- Ex-Test star Walters, pacer Hastings back Clarke to answer critics boos - Jan 31, 2011
- My mind and heart has been more in flood-hit Queensland than cricket, says Watson - Jan 17, 2011
- Johnson to use flood spirit as motivation for Brisbane ODI comeback - Jan 28, 2011
- Gilchrist says England favourites but not guaranteed the Ashes - Nov 17, 2010
- Watson says Aussies will have 'no excuses' against England in Ashes - Oct 15, 2010
- Watson not surprised by spirited Windies - Mar 22, 2012
- Pietersen shocked, disappointed by hoax bid on Queensland flood fundraiser - Jan 31, 2011
- 'Chastened' Australia 'geared to getting everything right for Ashes opener': Watson - Nov 24, 2010
- Ponting reminds England not to 'forget packing the urn' in Ashes message on Big Ben! - Oct 28, 2010
- Trott takes gloss off Ponting's Australia 'Ashes series whitewash' jibe - Aug 17, 2010
- 'Joker' Swann will prove to be a 'world-beater' in Ashes series, says brother - Nov 19, 2010
- Ronaldinho dazzles despite abuse from opposing fans - Jul 02, 2012
- Ashes conditions in Australia's favour: Ponting - Aug 17, 2010
Tags: australia, australian cricketers association, brisbane, emotion, england, fifth odi, fighting spirit, flood victims, floods, good game, inspiration, jan 29, match, queensland, rounder, series 3, shane watson, victory