Bremen, Hamburg held, Hertha slip to another defeatNovember 9th, 2009 - 2:28 pm ICT by IANS
Hamburg, Nov 9 (DPA) Werder Bremen and SV Hamburg were held to draws, leaving Bayer Leverkusen three points clear at the top of the Bundesliga.
SV Hamburg conceded a late penalty in a 2-2 draw at Hanover, while Bremen were pegged 1-1 by visiting Borussia Dortmund.
At the bottom of the table, basement club Hertha Berlin slipped to a 1-0 defeat at home to fellow strugglers Cologne.
Leverkusen, who thrashed Eintracht Frankfurt 4-0 Friday, top the table on 26 points to extend their lead over Bremen and Hamburg.
Schalke 04, who drew 1-1 at Bayern Munich on Saturday remain fourth, a further point behind.
Midfielder Mesut Ozil put Bremen ahead over Dortmund with a first-time shot in the 36th minute after Aaron Hunt was given time to cross from the right.
Mid-table Dortmund levelled eight minutes after the break when goalkeeper Tim Wiese could only parry a Nelson Valdez shot and Argentina striker Lucas Barrios swooped to poke the ball over the line for his sixth goal in as many games.
“Both teams deserve compliments for a super game,” Bremen coach Thaomas Schaaf said.
“It was a hard-fought game played with pace. When you lead you want to bring it home. It’s something we’ve done enough this season -not today but in general the result was OK.”
Marcell Jansen and Eljero Elia were on target for Hamburg in the first half either side of a header by Hanover’s Didier Ya Konan in the northern German derby.
But Jiri Stajner converted a penalty two minutes from time after he was adjudged to have been blocked in the box by Tomas Rincon.
Hamburg players protested that rather than a foul on Stajner the striker had deliberately run into Rincon before falling.
“It wasn’t a penalty. I just stood there and he ran into me,” Rincon said.
Hamburg coach Bruno Labbadia said: “I am really annoyed, also for the team who have been unfairly treated.”
In Berlin, Hertha’s woes continued when Milivoje Novakovic headed in a Lukas Podiolski free-kick 11 minutes from time. It was a 10th league defeat in 12 games for Hertha who are four points adrift of Bochum, while Cologne move up to 13th.
- Mertesacker saves Bremen as Hamburg and Schalke stumble - Nov 29, 2009
- Bayern on top with unconvincing victory over Wolfsburg - Jan 29, 2012
- Dortmund share point with Nuremberg - Sep 02, 2012
- Cologne relegated, Dortmund break Bundesliga record - May 06, 2012
- Mainz shock Stuttgart 3-1 in Bundesliga - Nov 05, 2011
- Bremen go top as Hanover and Bundesliga remember Enke - Nov 22, 2009
- Dortmund defeat Freiburg, Nuremberg stun Leverkusen in Bundesliga - Dec 18, 2011
- Bundesliga leaders Dortmund five clear of Bayern with win over Cologne - Mar 26, 2012
- Bayern Munich on revenge mission in Wolfsburg - Feb 04, 2010
- Dortmund close in on Bundesgila title - Apr 15, 2012
- Mainz share points with Hoffenheim in Bundesliga - Feb 18, 2012
- Schalke defeat Berlin for second place of German Bundesliga - Dec 10, 2011
- Cologne, Bremen celebrate goal festival at Bundesliga - Dec 11, 2011
- Ribery shoots Bayern Munich back to top of Bundesliga - Mar 01, 2010
- Bayern stage faultless performance to stay on top - Sep 25, 2011
Tags: aaron hunt, basement club, bayer leverkusen, bayern munich, bruno labbadia, bundesliga, fought game, hertha berlin, lucas barrios, mesut, mid table, nelson valdez, schaaf, schalke 04, sixth goal, sv hamburg, table basement, target, tim wiese, werder bremen