Brazilian footballer gets jail for torching his houseJuly 5th, 2012 - 12:14 pm ICT by IANS
Berlin, July 5 (IANS/EFE) Brazil’s Breno Vinicius Rodrigues Borges, a former player for Bayern Munich, was sentenced Wednesday to three years and nine months in jail for intentionally burning down his house in Germany.
A Munich court found that Breno set fire to his rented villa in the exclusive neighbourhood of Grunewald and ordered that he immediately be sent to prison to begin serving his sentence.
The 22-year-old soccer player broke his silence shortly bfore the end of the trial to ask the judges for clemency.
“I want to apologize for what happened that night” both to Bayern Munich and to the owner of the villa, which was completely destroyed, Breno said.
The soccer player extended his apology to his family and his children “for whom I have not been a good example. I’m a person who believes in God and I’m grateful to him for having protected my family”.
The court found that the player set fire to the building, which since that time has been razed due to the extensive damage it suffered, because of the frustration he felt over a knee injury.
Despite the fact that he had been drinking alcohol at the time of the incident, the judges found that the player acted in a premeditated manner in setting fire to the villa his family had abandoned shortly before and which at the time of the fire was unoccupied.
Breno began his professional career in 2007 playing for FC Sao Paulo, and he was transferred in 2008 to Bayern Munich, with which he signed a four-year contract which just expired and has not been renewed.
- Former US Congresswoman's shooter pleads guilty - Aug 08, 2012
- Soccer player dies during match in Brazil - Jul 09, 2012
- Mexican comic blasted for joke about fire victims - Jan 18, 2012
- Maradona wants to settle tax case, return to Italy - Mar 12, 2012
- Argentine club owner gets jail for deadly fire - Jul 14, 2012
- Life in prison for underwear bomber - Feb 17, 2012
- Spanish soccer star to wed journalist - Mar 14, 2012
- Kidnapped Mexican singer found dead - Feb 13, 2012
- Di Matteo appointed permanent Chelsea coach - Jun 14, 2012
- Soccer player slain in Colombia - Jun 12, 2012
- Two men gunned down while playing soccer in Mexico - Nov 11, 2010
- More Spanish kids want to be professional footballers - Feb 16, 2012
- We are not the favourites: German soccer coach - Jun 02, 2012
- Chelsea win Champions League for the first time - May 20, 2012
- Footballer-turned-gangster arrested in Mexico - Jan 09, 2012
Tags: apology, bayern munich, berlin, brazil, brazilian footballer, clemency, drinking alcohol, efe, fc sao paulo, frustration, grunewald, knee injury, munich court, neighbourhood, nine months, professional career, rodrigues, setting fire, silence, soccer player