Brazil to cede 2015 Copa America to ChileMarch 24th, 2012 - 3:21 pm ICT by IANS
Rio de Janeiro, March 24 (IANS) Jose Maria Marin, the new president of the Brazilian Football Confederation (CBF), is expected to hand the 2015 Copa America to Chile.
Busy and behind schedule on many projects for the 2014 football World Cup and the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil plans to grant the right to host the tournament to Chile, Xinhua reported.
Chile has not hosted the Copa America since 1991.
The event, which takes place every four years, began in Argentina in 1987. The right to host the tournament is based upon an alphabetical rotation among the list of countries in the Americas.
Chile follows Brazil on the list of countries. For this reason Chile would earn the right to host the Copa America if Brazil were to pass.
CBF’s former president Ricardo Teixeira remained firm that Brazil would indeed host the 2015 Copa America, too proud to give up the opportunity to host the prestigious event.
However, with his recent dismissal due to charges of corruption, the dialogue has changed.
- Brazil, Chile swap organising duty of Copa America - Mar 25, 2012
- Ronaldo reveals desire to become president of CBF - Mar 19, 2012
- Rai supports Leonardo's candidacy for CBF president - Mar 31, 2012
- Romario supports Ronaldo's run for president of CBF - Mar 24, 2012
- Brazil sure passion will drive 2014 World Cup - Jul 08, 2010
- Bebeto joins Brazil's organising committee for 2014 World Cup - Feb 18, 2012
- Scolari says he is 'unwanted' for 2014 World Cup - Aug 25, 2012
- Fluminense playmaker Neves out for two months - May 31, 2012
- Brazil soccer chief resigns - Mar 13, 2012
- Brazil releases Neymar, Ganso for Libertadores quarter-final - May 15, 2012
- Brazil coach Menezes vows to win 2014 World Cup - Apr 09, 2012
- Brazil sacks coach Dunga, three others - Jul 05, 2010
- Menezes accepts offer to coach Brazil - Jul 24, 2010
- Santos equal record to cruise into Copa Libertadores quarter-finals - May 11, 2012
- Rio to host Laureus World Sports Awards - Sep 09, 2012
Tags: 2016 olympic games, argentina, brazilian football confederation, brazilian football confederation cbf, chile, copa america, corruption, de janeiro brazil, dialogue, football world cup, former president, jose maria marin, list of countries, new president, olympic games, prestigious event, ricardo teixeira, rio de janeiro, rio de janeiro brazil, xinhua