Brazil request Valcke’s removal from World Cup negotiationsMarch 4th, 2012 - 4:52 pm ICT by IANS
Rio de Janeiro, March 4 (IANS) A day after being criticised by FIFA Secretary General Jerome Valcke, Brazilian Sports Minister Aldo Rebelo said he would seek his removal from further participation in the 2014 World Cup.
According to Rebelo, Valcke’s statements were unacceptable and blatantly mean. Attacking Brazil and its preparations for the 2014 World Cup, Valcke said that things were not going as planned.
Additionally, Valcke said that it appears that construction is not taking place and is close to a standstill.
Finally, the secretary general said that the organizers of the 2014 World Cup need to be kicked to take things seriously, Xinhua reported.
Rebelo claims that Valcke’s statements are unfounded, untrue and offensive. For this reason, Rebelo and the Brazilian ministry of sports are looking to have Valcke released from his duties as negotiator between FIFA and the Brazilian government.
They are currently preparing an official petition to FIFA, detailing the resentment and hard feelings created by Valcke’s comments in hopes of achieving the secretary general’s removal from the negotiations.
Valcke is expected to arrive in Brazil next week in to continue his inspections of stadium construction throughout the country, visiting Sao Paulo, Porto Alegre, Curitiba, Cuiaba, Manaus and Natal.
- Ronaldo defends Valcke's criticism of Brazil - Mar 09, 2012
- FIFA official to return to Brazil next week - Apr 03, 2012
- Valcke to return to Brazil for FIFA inspections - Mar 31, 2012
- Infrastructure on track for 2014 World Cup in Brazil - Sep 15, 2011
- Brazil lags 95 percent in 2014 Football World Cup work - May 24, 2012
- Bebeto joins Brazil's organising committee for 2014 World Cup - Feb 18, 2012
- FIFA's secretary-general assures Brazil will be ready for World Cup - Jan 21, 2012
- 'All in one rhythm' slogan for Brazil World Cup - May 30, 2012
- Brazil hopes 2016 Olympics will boost industry - Jul 19, 2012
- FIFA raises 2014 World Cup concerns with Brazil - Dec 17, 2011
- FIFA concerned about Brazil's preparedness for 2014 World Cup - Mar 03, 2012
- FIFA names World Cup ball Brazuca - Sep 03, 2012
- Brazil displacing poor ahead of World Cup, Olympics: UN official - Apr 27, 2011
- FIFA to decide on 2014 World Cup host cities - May 29, 2009
- FIFA names 12 host cities for 2014 World Cup - Jun 01, 2009
Tags: aldo rebelo, brazilian government, brazilian ministry, criticised, cuiaba, curitiba, fifa, hard feelings, manaus, negotiations, negotiator, organizers, porto alegre, resentment, rio de janeiro, secretary general, stadium construction, standstill, world cup, xinhua