Brazil lobbies for surfing at Rio 2016 OlympicsApril 5th, 2012 - 1:56 pm ICT by IANS
Rio de Janeiro, April 5 (IANS) Brazil’s surfing confederation (CBS) has launched a campaign to include the sport as a demonstration event at the 2016 Rio Olympic Games.
The initiative aims to lobby the International Olympic Committee (IOC) by mobilizing support through social media and a website featuring an online petition.
“We have significant international support and, with political willpower, things can happen,” campaign leader Romeu Andreatta was quoted as saying by Xinhua.
The International Surfing Association (ISA) has been pushing for the sport’s inclusion in the Olympics since the 2000 Games in Sydney.
A major argument in surfing’s favour is the sport’s estimated 20 million participants spanning more than 100 countries.
According to IOC rules, an Olympic sport must have competitors in at least 70 countries and four continents.
Surfing was nominated as a possible medal sport at the Rio Games but was eclipsed in a 2009 vote by golf and rugby.
- Romario bats for footvolley to become Olympic sport - Feb 11, 2012
- Brazil hope to end Olympic judo medal drought in London - May 02, 2012
- Golf, rugby sevens to be part of 2016 Olympics - Oct 09, 2009
- Prince Henry plays volleyball in Brazil - Mar 11, 2012
- Six cities bid for 2020 Olympics - Sep 03, 2011
- Golf awaits International Olympic Committee's decision - Oct 09, 2009
- Britain offers help to Brazil for World Cup, Olympics - Aug 17, 2012
- IGU'S Dilip Thomas to represent Olympic Golf - Oct 24, 2011
- IOC concerned over progress of work in Rio - Jun 07, 2012
- Nairobi planning to bid for the 2024 Olympics - Aug 09, 2012
- Rio gets 2012 Games, to put South America on Olympic map (Lead) - Oct 03, 2009
- IOC to assess impact of heavy rain on Rio 2016 Olympics - Apr 08, 2010
- Scheidt vows to re-adapt for Rio Olympics - Aug 21, 2012
- Brazil hopes 2016 Olympics will boost industry - Jul 19, 2012
- Madrid officially launches bid for 2020 Olympics - Jan 31, 2012
Tags: 2016 olympics, cbs, confederation, demonstration event, favour, four continents, inclusion, international olympic committee, international surfing association, ioc, isa, lobbies, medal sport, olympic games, olympic sport, olympics, online petition, rio de janeiro, rugby, xinhua