Brazil, Colombia battle for Davis Cup playoffApril 6th, 2012 - 2:58 pm ICT by IANS
Rio de Janeiro, April 6 (IANS) Brazil and Colombia will play for a spot in the Davis Cup world group playoff when they meet on the clay surface of Sao Jose do Rio Preto Friday.
The hosts Brazil have not qualified for the competition’s elite category since 2003, despite advancing to the playoff round in each of the past seven years.
Colombia is aiming for its first appearance in the world group.
Brazil’s world No.45 Thomaz Bellucci said the team had concentrated on serving during training due to the relatively fast-paced courts.
“Every day we have been working hard on our serves because if we can get that right, we are halfway towards winning the tie,” Bellucci was quoted as saying by Xinhua.
“After training I have been hitting at least 50-60 serves to sharpen up for the tie.”
Bellucci will be joined in the singles by world No. 102 Joao Souza while Bruno Soares will partner Marcelo Melo in the doubles.
Captained by Marc Gorriz, Colombia will be represented in the singles by Santiago Giraldo and Alejandro Falla, ranked 55th and 56th respectively.
Robert Farah and Juan Sebastian Cabal will compete in the doubles.
- Brazil makes world group playoffs in Davis Cup - Apr 09, 2012
- Bellucci only Brazilian in Olympics tennis singles - Jun 27, 2012
- Davis Cup: Paes-Bhupathi keep Indian hopes alive - Sep 18, 2010
- U.S. Open: Paes-Stepanek in third round - Sep 01, 2012
- Somdev, Bopanna power India to Davis Cup World Group - Sep 19, 2010
- Bopanna, Somdev go down fighting in Davis Cup (Roundup) - Sep 17, 2010
- Davis Cup: India pull off stunning win against Brazil - Sep 19, 2010
- Russia choose low-ranked players for Davis Cup tie - Sep 04, 2012
- It's all about magic: Paes - Sep 18, 2010
- Davis Cup: Somdev goes down to Ricardo Mello, India trail 0-2 - Sep 17, 2010
- India lose both singles, trail Brazil 0-2 (Lead) - Sep 17, 2010
- Bopanna blames lack of singles play for loss - Sep 17, 2010
- Davis Cup: Bopanna goes down fighting, Brazil 1-0 up - Sep 17, 2010
- Surface won't make difference in Davis Cup tie: Zwetsch - Sep 15, 2010
- India to play Brazil at home in Davis Cup - May 11, 2010
Tags: alejandro falla, bellucci, brazil, bruno soares, clay surface, colombia, davis cup, elite category, farah, first appearance, hosts, juan sebastian, rio de janeiro, santiago giraldo, sao jose do rio preto, seven years, souza, thomaz, world group, xinhua