Bradman’s son asked to mediate over name exploitationApril 20th, 2011 - 1:36 pm ICT by ANI
Adelaide (Australia), Apr. 20 (ANI): Sir Donald Bradman’s son, John, is reportedly being urged to consider mediation over the alleged exploitation of the late cricketer’s nameJohn Bradman and two other executors of Sir Donald’s estate are suing law firm Allens Arthur Robinson, claiming it breached its contract and was negligent in assigning Sir Donald’s name to the Bradman Foundation, Fox Sports reports.
Both parties told the South Australian Supreme Court on Wednesday they were well on track to go to trial for five weeks on August 2.
Justice Richard White directed them to consider mediation first, and let him know at a directions hearing on June 3.
“I want to know … their respective attitudes to mediation, in particular whether or not there is simply no point in mediation being held. I don’t want this to simply trickle on,” he said.
Bradman’s displeasure with the law firm became public in 2005 when the foundation licensed an Australian food company to market Bradman chocolate chip cookies in India.
The family at the time described Bradman as “a loved and missed family member, not a brand name like Mickey Mouse” but the foundation counter-claimed that it had confidence Sir Donald would have approved the venture. (ANI)
- Oz court advises mediation in case involving Don Bradman's name - Feb 09, 2011
- Bradman's name cannot be branded or bandied about like Mickey Mouse, says his son - Mar 29, 2010
- Son wins right to launch court action against exploitation of Bradman's name - Jul 31, 2009
- Bradman's son moves court against commercial use of name in India - Mar 29, 2009
- Sir Don Bradmans family sues over use of name for promoting choco-chip biscuits - Dec 24, 2008
- Bradman's iconic 'backyard cricket' bats up for grabs - Nov 05, 2010
- Bradman''s son to sue over commercial exploitation of Don''s name - Aug 02, 2008
- Bradman's backyard bat expected to fetch $15,000-$20,000 - Nov 05, 2010
- Aussies need consistent fast bowler, leg-spinner to regain Ashes: Gavaskar - Oct 21, 2010
- Chappell tells coaches to follow Bradman's advice of pitching the ball up - Nov 25, 2010
- World's first International Cricket Hall of Fame honours Bradman - Nov 21, 2010
- Australia needs big fast bowler to retain Ashes, says Gavaskar - Oct 20, 2010
- Ian Chappell says Lara better than Ponting and Tendulkar - Jan 31, 2012
- Cricket hall of fame for Bradman's town Bowral - May 28, 2009
- Bailey replaces Clarke for Sunday's ODI against India (Lead) - Feb 17, 2012
Tags: arthur robinson, attitudes, australia, australian food, brand name, chocolate chip cookies, confidence, cricketer, displeasure, executors, family member, food company, fox sports, India, june 3, justice richard, mediation, mickey mouse, sir donald bradman, south australian supreme court