Bradman’s granddaughter keeping legend’s musical legacy aliveJune 29th, 2010 - 2:23 pm ICT by ANI
Melbourne, Jun 29 (ANI): Legendary Sir Donald Bradman, who left a great cricketing legacy behind him, was also a good musician and his musical prowess is now being kept alive by his granddaughter.
Greta Bradman has music in her genes and is more interested in keeping the legend’s legacy as a musician alive.
“He was an avid pianist who played Chopin and was a boy soprano in school. He also had a record collection that ABC Classics has used for the basis for an album of classics and show tunes called Music of the Don,” Greta said.
As one of eight finalists in next weekend’s Mietta Song Recital Award, she grew up in a musical environment. Her school where she learnt piano was in the same street as her grandparents’ home and she would visit them every day, The Age reports.
“I still miss them,” Greta said. Her grandfather’s tour diaries of England in 1930 contain lengthy entries of shows he saw, including a recital by Dame Nellie Melba.
But the soprano has only recently devoted herself to full-time singing, coinciding with a move from Adelaide to Melbourne with her husband and two sons.
“I always had the sense of needing to have a proper job,” Greta said. She is in the final stages of completing a joint master’s degree in clinical psychology and a research PhD in the area of human intelligence at Adelaide University. (ANI)
- Gaga's piano to go under hammer - Jun 11, 2011
- Some give, some take for Mexican pianists in India - Nov 20, 2010
- Lankan performers in India with classical repertoire - Aug 21, 2011
- Child prodigy performs with Mexican philharmonic - Mar 06, 2012
- Victoria's piano back on display in Kolkata - Jun 21, 2012
- Poland PM's wife gifts India bust of musician Chopin - Sep 07, 2010
- Classical Maestro Daniel Barenboim reveals he is a fan of rock music - Apr 10, 2011
- This 'iband' creates music on their palms (With Images) - Jul 22, 2012
- East meets West in novel music initiative - Nov 24, 2011
- Big B wants Katy Perry's autograph for granddaughter! - Apr 05, 2012
- Soha takes piano classes, pleases mommy dearest - Apr 11, 2012
- Poland gifts India composer Chopin's bust - Sep 07, 2010
- Seven global musicians make melody without boundaries (With Images) - Jan 31, 2010
- 'Little Europe' in Delhi University - Oct 12, 2010
- Aretha Franklin, Condoleezza Rice perform for charity concert - Jul 29, 2010
Tags: abc classics, adelaide university, boy soprano, chopin, clinical psychology, dame nellie melba, genes, granddaughter, grandparents, human intelligence, mietta, musical environment, musical legacy, musical prowess, pianist, proper job, show tunes, sir donald bradman, song recital, tour diaries