Boxing coach gets Rs.1.1 mn from HaryanaSeptember 18th, 2008 - 9:53 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, Sep 18 (IANS) Indian boxing coach G.S. Sandhu, who was by the side of Indian boxers Vijender Singh, Akhil Kumar and Jitender Kumar during their matches at the Beijing Games last month, was Thursday given a reward of Rs.1.1 million by the Haryana government here.Haryana Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda handed over the cheque to Sandhu, who is a Sports Authority of India (SAI) coach, at a ceremony here.
Hooda said his government would pay rightful attention to sports, so that the state could produce more medal winners like Vijender Singh who won India’s first bronze medal in boxing in the Olympics.
The chief minister said that the boxing academy of international standard to be set up in Haryana’s Bhiwani town would not only train sportsmen but also lay emphasis on training of coaches.
“With this kind of encouragement, I will not be surprised if India wins more gold medals at the next Olympics,” Sandhu said.
- Indian boxers, coaches upbeat about their chances - Sep 13, 2010
- Haryana grooms sporting talent for India's future - Nov 29, 2010
- Indian boxers excelling but lot more required: Chief coach Sandhu - Jul 20, 2012
- Indian sports trainers get Cuban exposure (Lead) - Jan 20, 2011
- Deepinder Hooda wants sports university in Haryana - Nov 30, 2010
- Bindra, Vijender part of Samsung Sports Ratna programme - Jun 29, 2010
- Boxer Vikas promises a fearless show in London - Jul 21, 2012
- Akhil wants to retain Commonwealth Games title (Lead, superseding earlier story) - Sep 29, 2010
- Akhil, Vijender to lead charge in World Boxing Championship - Aug 18, 2011
- Indian boxers aiming for gold in London Olympics - Jan 20, 2012
- Indians boxers asked to switch to aggressive mode - Apr 02, 2012
- Hooda's sporting decision becomes political game (Haryana Newsletter) - Apr 21, 2012
- Boxers reaching London early to get acclimatised and train - Jul 12, 2012
- Medal-winning Haryana sportsmen appointed police officers - Dec 23, 2008
- Boxer Akhil desperate to win a gold on home turf - Sep 29, 2010