Boxers leave for Beijing full of beansAugust 2nd, 2008 - 7:23 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 2 (IANS) Beijing-bound boxing medal hope Akhil Kumar asked the people of the country to back the contingent to win medals in the Olympics. Akhil (54), Vijender Singh (75), A L Lakra (57), Jitender (51) and Dinesh Kumar (81) have done exceptionally well in international events in the last couple of years, raising hopes of a podium finish in Beijing.
“We want the entire country to back and pray for us. That will give us the strength to fight. We have the potential to win medals and nothing will go wrong for want of effort on our part,” Akhil told IANS Friday before leaving for Beijing along with his fellow boxers.
The boxers have done exceptionally well in international events in the last few years, and their run-up to the mega event has been phenomenal.
“Last one year has been good for us. We have performed well against world-ranked boxers and that has given us the confidence to do well in Beijing,” Akhil said.
Besides the five boxers, two coaches, and one manager accompanied the team. Boxing Federation of India officials saw them off at the Indira Gandhi International airport.
South African physiotherapist Heath Mathews will be leaving for Beijing Saturday.
“The whole country has faith in our boxers and all our prayers will not go in vain,” said BFI President Abhay Singh Chautala.
- Indian boxers, coaches upbeat about their chances - Sep 13, 2010
- Commonwealth Boxing Championships begin in New Delhi - Mar 13, 2010
- Indian boxers aiming for gold in London Olympics - Jan 20, 2012
- Indian boxers excelling but lot more required: Chief coach Sandhu - Jul 20, 2012
- Akhil wants to retain Commonwealth Games title (Lead, superseding earlier story) - Sep 29, 2010
- Boxers upbeat about good show in World Championships - Aug 26, 2009
- India's boxing future bright: Vijender - Apr 14, 2012
- Boxers reaching London early to get acclimatised and train - Jul 12, 2012
- Plans for Indian Premier League-style boxing championship underway - Feb 19, 2010
- Akhil, Vijender to lead charge in World Boxing Championship - Aug 18, 2011
- Boxer Akhil desperate to win a gold on home turf - Sep 29, 2010
- Sahara India to sponsor boxing, wrestling - Feb 23, 2009
- Bindra, Vijender part of Samsung Sports Ratna programme - Jun 29, 2010
- IBF announces probables for CWG, Asian Games - Jul 22, 2010
- Vijender rues lack of boxing facility in India - Jun 29, 2010
Tags: abhay, akhil kumar, aug 2, beijing, bfi, chautala, contingent, dinesh, fellow, full of beans, indira gandhi, indira gandhi international airport, jitender, mathews, medals, New Delhi, olympics, physiotherapist, podium, prayers