Boxer Vijender slams cricketers for missing Padma AwardsApril 17th, 2009 - 3:03 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 17 (IANS) India’s Olympic bronze-medallist Vijender Singh criticised star cricketers Mahendra Singh Dhoni and Harbhajan Singh for skipping the prestigious Padma Awards.
“Those who feel and respect the value of the Padma awards, strive for it and bring glory for the country and often miss out on the awards. I don’t want to comment on those who don’t value this honour,” said the 23-year-old, who won India’s maiden boxing Olympic medal in Beijing.
Vijender and bronze-medal winning wrestler Sushil Kumar were denied Padma Awards despite their incredible performance in the Olympics.
“Back in Beijing, we had given our best and clinched success after a long time in boxing. Yet it was a disappointment when we were not considered for the Padma Awards. But that is for the authorities to decide and I won’t complain. My job is to work hard and hope for a better performance in future,” Vijender added.
Indian captain Dhoni and off-spinner Harbhajan’s absence from the Padma awards ceremony has sparked a controversy.
Sports minister M.S. Gill has criticised the cricketers for skipping the ceremony.
Both Dhoni and Harbhajan, who were to receive the Padma Shri awards by President Pratibha Patil at the Rashtrapati Bhavan Tuesday, skipped the ceremony.
According to media reports, both star players were busy shooting for commercials. Some reports said that Harbhajan was present in the national capital finishing his brand engagements before leaving for the second edition of the Indian Premier League in South Africa.
Harbhajan, however, insisted that he had to be at home in Jalandhar to attend to some pressing family problem.
- Mandatory for all sportspersons to attend Padma Awards: Gill - Apr 17, 2009
- Olympics: Indian contingent greeted with huge cheers - Jul 28, 2012
- Laxman, Narang, Sushil conferred Padma Shri - Jan 25, 2011
- Sushil Kumar to be India's flag bearer at Olympics - Jul 15, 2012
- Sushil Kumar named India's flag-bearer at London Olympics (Lead) - Jul 15, 2012
- Olympics: India on a medal count - Jul 27, 2012
- Under-pressure Vijender hopes to book London berth in Astana - Apr 02, 2012
- Indian athletes' London tryst amid soaring expectations - Jul 26, 2012
- President Patil presents National Sports awards to 25 sportspersons - Aug 29, 2009
- Padma awards given to Ramakrishnan, Rahman, Aamir - Apr 01, 2010
- Bindra, Vijender part of Samsung Sports Ratna programme - Jun 29, 2010
- A year to cherish for India's athletes (2010 in Retrospect) - Dec 28, 2010
- Sehwag, Vijender among six sportspersons for Padma Shri (Lead) - Jan 25, 2010
- Outlook on boxing changed after Beijing bronze: Vijender - Jun 28, 2012
- Indian boxers excelling but lot more required: Chief coach Sandhu - Jul 20, 2012
Tags: awards ceremony, bronze medal, bronze medallist, cricketers, criticised, engagements, harbhajan singh, indian captain, jalandhar, mahendra singh dhoni, New Delhi, olympic bronze, olympic medal, padma awards, padma shri awards, premier league, president pratibha patil, rashtrapati bhavan, star players, sushil kumar