Boxer Vijender qualifies for London OlympicsApril 8th, 2012 - 6:20 pm ICT by IANS
Astana (Kazakhstan), April 8 (IANS) Indian boxer Vijender Singh qualified for the 2012 London Olympics by advancing to the semi-finals of 75 kgs weight category at the Asian Olympic qualifying event here Sunday.
The Beijing Olympics bronze medallist beat 2011 Asian Championship silver medallist Chuluuntumur Tumurkhyag of Mongolia in the quarterfinals to secure the all important Olympic quota.
The victory also assured the former World No.1 of at least a bronze from the qualification tournament. The 26-year-old became the fifth Indian boxer to make the London Games after Vikas Krishnan (69kg), Manoj Kumar (64kg), Jai Bhagwan (60kg) and rookie Devendro Singh (49kg).
The first four quota places came in the qualification competition in October at the World Championships in Baku, Azerbaijan.
Vijender started off slow and was down 4:6 after the opening three minutes of play. But the Indian came back strongly in the second round, taking Chuluuntumur by surprise. Making good use of his long reach and hard hitting straight punches, Vijender quickly turned the tables and gained the advantage with a two point lead (13:11).
In the final round, Vijender shifted into top gear, launching an all out offensive, to which the Mongolian boxer had no answer. His relentless attack, with uppercuts and straight punches helped him claim victory by a margin of 10 points (27:17).
Vijender will now take on Nursahat Pazziyev of Turkmenistan for a place in the finals.
- Shiva, Sangwan secure London Olympics berth (Roundup) - Apr 11, 2012
- Shiva Thapa youngest Indian boxer to qualify for Olympics (Lead) - Apr 11, 2012
- Boxer Shiva enters semis of Olympic qualifiers - Apr 09, 2012
- Indian boxer Thapa in quarters of Olympic qualifiers - Apr 07, 2012
- Thapa in quarters, Suranjoy out of Olympic qualifiers (Lead) - Apr 07, 2012
- Akhil, Vijender to lead charge in World Boxing Championship - Aug 18, 2011
- Vijender in quarters of Olympic qualifier - Apr 06, 2012
- World boxing meet: Devendro, Manoj make it to London Olympics - Oct 04, 2011
- World Boxing Championships: Krishan settles for bronze - Oct 08, 2011
- Suranjoy, Sumit in second round of Asian Olympic qualifying event - Apr 06, 2012
- Indian boxers aiming for gold in London Olympics - Jan 20, 2012
- Shiva youngest Indian boxer to qualify for Olympics - Apr 11, 2012
- Outlook on boxing changed after Beijing bronze: Vijender - Jun 28, 2012
- Manpreet in quarters of Olympic qualifying event - Apr 06, 2012
- World Boxing meet: Vikas lone Indian to reach semis - Oct 06, 2011
Tags: 2012 london olympics, asian championship, astana kazakhstan, baku azerbaijan, beijing olympics, jai bhagwan, kgs, london games, long reach, manoj kumar, qualification tournament, quarterfinals, relentless attack, semi finals, silver medallist, top gear, uppercuts, vikas, weight category, world championships