Boxer Manjeet suspended for failing dope testFebruary 8th, 2009 - 11:39 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 7 (IANS) Indian boxer Manjeet Singh has been suspended for two years after failing a dope test and his team mate Baljeet Singh’s sample ‘A’ has also tested positive for a banned steroid, the Indian Boxing Federation (IBF) said Saturday.
IBF has suspended Manjeet, a middle-weight boxer, with immediate effect. The boxer has appealed against the ban.
“It was his first offence so we have suspended him for two years. His appeal is now pending with the anti-doping panel,” IBF general secretary P.K. Muralidharan Raja told IANS Saturday.
Manjeet, 2007 Commonwealth Championship bronze medallist, was tested during a national camp in April last year. IBF has asked him to return the silver medal he won at the National Championship.
“Manjeet has pleaded innocence and claimed that he might have taken the substance while recovering from a wrist injury. But we have asked him to return his national medal,” said Raja.
He also said that Baljeet’s ‘B’ sample has been sent for testing.
“We have to wait for a while till Baljeet’s ‘B’ sample results are out. His samples were taken during the Nationals in September,” Raja said.
All the samples were tested at the National Dope Testing Laboratory here.
- Three athletes fail dope test - Oct 11, 2011
- Five fresh doping cases in athletics, IOA orders probe (Lead) - Jun 30, 2011
- Asiad, CWG gold winner Ashwini joins dope-tainted stars (Roundup) - Jul 04, 2011
- Three athletes' B samples also test positive - Jul 08, 2011
- Five athletes flunk dope tests - Jun 30, 2011
- Russian boxer banned for doping - Apr 05, 2012
- B-samples of six wrestlers also test positive - Sep 06, 2010
- Ashwini, Priyanka's B-samples test positive - Jul 11, 2011
- Hockey keeper Adrian D'Souza tests positive for banned substance (Lead, correcting last para) - Apr 13, 2012
- Hockey keeper Adrian D'Souza tests positive for banned substance - Apr 13, 2012
- IOA demands judicial inquiry in doping scandal - Jul 01, 2011
- Doping mess: Punjab suspends drug controller - Jul 07, 2011
- Another Pakistani athlete banned after testing positive for steroids - Sep 21, 2010
- SAI cracks the whip on coaches at NIS Patiala (Roundup) - Jul 07, 2011
- Anti doping panel to hear cases Sep 22 - Sep 10, 2010
Tags: boxing federation, bronze medallist, commonwealth, dope test, first offence, general secretary, ibf, innocence, muralidharan, national championship, nationals, New Delhi, raja, silver medal, team mate, testing laboratory, weight boxer, wrist injury