Bowden officiates in 50th Test matchNovember 6th, 2008 - 9:44 pm ICT by IANS
Nagpur, Nov 6 (IANS) New Zealand umpire Billy Bowden joined an elite club Thursday by officiating at his 50th Test during the fourth and last Test match in this series between India and Australia at the Vidarbha Cricket Association (VCA) Stadium here. Bowden is the 10th umpire in the history to achieve the mark and the sixth member of the current Emirates Elite Panel of the International Cricket Council (ICC).
At the start of the match, Bowden was felicitated by Match Referee Chris Broad on behalf of the ICC.
“I would like to congratulate Billy on his achievement. Billy has been one of the most consistent and well-respected officials in recent years and this achievement is an indication of the level of commitment he has shown,” said ICC Umpires’ and Referees’ Manager Vince van der Bijl in a statement.
Bowden made his debut in Auckland Test between New Zealand and Australia in 2000.
He has also stood in 127 ODIs and five Twenty20 Internationals as well as being selected to officiate at the World Cup in 2003 and 2007.
The elite club:
Steve Bucknor (1989-2008) 124 Tests
Rudi Koertzen (1992-2008) 94
David Shepherd (1985-2005) 92
Darrell Hair (1992-2008) 78
Daryl Harper (1998-2008)75
Srinivas Venkataraghavan (1993-2004) 73
Dickie Bird (1973-1996) 66
Simon Taufel (2000-2008)53
Aleem Dar (2003-2008) 52
Billy Bowden (2000-2008)50
- Jeff Crowe to complete half-century in Tests as Match Referee - Apr 06, 2012
- ICC honours umpire Aleem Dar on completing 150 ODIs - Jun 30, 2012
- Umpire Davis reaches 100 mark with India-Netherlands match - Mar 09, 2011
- Three Kiwi officials line up for 2011 World Cup - Feb 07, 2011
- Billy Doctrove announces retirement from umpires Elite Panel - Jun 07, 2012
- Taufel, Gould to officiate in high-octane India-Pakistan semis - Mar 27, 2011
- ICC announces referees, umpires for WC quarter-final stage - Mar 21, 2011
- Umpires Dharamsena, Kettleborough promoted to Elite Panel - May 25, 2011
- Umpires, referees for World T20 group stage announced - Sep 09, 2012
- Praveen Kumar fined for breaching ICC code - Jul 30, 2011
- Saheba, Tarapore to officiate in World Cup - Dec 12, 2010
- Erasmus, Gould named on-field umpires for India-Australia clash - Mar 21, 2011
- ICC pays tribute to Umpire Koertzen ahead of his final Test - Jul 21, 2010
- Hot Spot blinks, no DRS for India-England series - Oct 07, 2011
- Davies, Dharmasena to officiate in World Cup opener - Feb 02, 2011