Botha to lead Proteas for limited-overs stage of Oz tourJanuary 11th, 2009 - 1:52 pm ICT by ANI
Melbourne, Jan 11 (ANI): South African cricketer John Botha, overlooked for the Test series, will lead the Proteas through the limited-overs stage of the tour, which starts with Sunday nights Twenty20 clash with Australia at the MCG.
Botha admitted that it would be difficult emulating Graeme Smith, who led South Africa to their first Test series win in Australia and then defied a broken hand and injured elbow to bat in the third Test at the SCG in a forlorn effort to force a draw, the Daily Telegraph reported.
Botha has also endured his share of difficulties in Australia. On South Africas last visit, the off-spinner was reported for having a suspect bowling action in his Test debut at the SCG three years ago.
He was banned from bowling, but later that year had his action cleared. Botha said he was pleased with the way he had responded since that hardship.
Maybe that had to happen and it was good for me. In the end it grew strength in me and Ive been happy with my bowling the last year or so, Botha said.
Proteas coach Mickey Arthur said Bothas handling of the career setback had proven him a determined, resilient character who had to be admired.
Any guy who comes back from something like that has to be really mentally strong and that was really the first time I saw the amount of strength this player had and Im really glad that hes stepped through, the Paper quoted Arthur, as saying.
Botha has led his country in only three one-dayers and said he would call on the wise heads of Neil McKenzie, Jacques Kallis and Mark Boucher throughout the series.
Arthur said the Proteas had closed the book on their Test tour and would use the two Twenty20 matches and five one-dayers as the launching pad for the 2011 World Cup. (ANI)
- Botha cleared of suspected bowling action with a rider - May 12, 2009
- India will come hard at us: Arthur - Jan 30, 2012
- Proteas spinner Botha can play, but cannot bowl his `Doosra' - May 12, 2009
- Elbow injury forces Smith to miss ODIs - Jan 01, 2009
- Zaheer snaps 250 wickets, Pathan hits maiden 50 against Proteas (Match highlights) - Jan 19, 2011
- Oz conqueror Arthur backs Aussies to win Ashes - Oct 18, 2010
- Arthur says Gibbs can re-invigorate his career in Australia - Jan 11, 2009
- Ponting not going anywhere: Micky Arthur - May 01, 2012
- Australian bowling attack can be world's best: Arthur - Dec 31, 2011
- England may use Swann to test Aussie patience levels during Ashes: Arthur - Oct 31, 2010
- Johnson hurts ankle in Sheffield Shield match - Oct 11, 2011
- Ex-Proteas opener Gibbs was a loner, claims Coach Arthur - Nov 03, 2010
- I have the form to rattle South Africa: Johnson - Oct 06, 2011
- CSA to release Botha from central contracts - Mar 31, 2012
- Playing in South Africa is as tough as it gets: Clarke - Oct 04, 2011
Tags: bowling action, clash, daily telegraph, first test, graeme smith, injured elbow, jacques kallis, launching pad, mark boucher, neil mckenzie, proteas, scg, setback, south african cricketer, south africas, spinner, test debut, test series, third test, world cup