Botha to captain South Africa in Twenty20 match against AustraliaMarch 27th, 2009 - 2:23 pm ICT by ANI
Melbourne, Mar 27 (ANI): South Africa has named Johan Botha to lead their side for opening Twenty20 International against Australia at the Wanderers ground.
Skipper Graeme Smith and acting skipper from last week’s third Test Jacques Kallis are both injured, while opening batsman Neil McKenzie has been dropped.
Botha led South Africa to a series win in the one-dayers in Australia against Ricky Ponting’s side in January to claim the world No.1 ranking.
“Wins are always important. But there is going to be a bit of experimenting. We need to try to get our team for the (T20) World Cup sorted out. There’s only these two games and then in June it’s the World Cup (in England) ,” Botha said on Thursday.
Botha is keen to avenge South Africa’s two Twenty20 defeats against Australia in January, the Daily Telegraph reported.
“We know we have to start better tomorrow. We can’t let Australia get ahead. We want to start really well here. We are looking forward to playing in front of a massive crowd,” he said.
The second and final T20 match is at Centurion on Sunday followed by a five-game series of one-day internationals. (ANI)
- After Ponting-Clarke century stand, Johnson-Cummins bowl Australia to victory - Oct 20, 2011
- Bangladesh face a daunting task in must-win match (Preview) - Mar 18, 2011
- Kieron Pollard out of Big Bash with hamstring tear - Dec 16, 2011
- Afridi "frustrated over struggling batting line-up" after 8-wicket rout by SA - Oct 30, 2010
- Team that handles pressure better will clinch series: Dhoni - Jan 22, 2011
- CSA to release Botha from central contracts - Mar 31, 2012
- Amla recalled to SA's Twenty20 squad - Dec 29, 2010
- South Africa dump failed opener McKenzie and pace bowler Morne Morkel - Mar 11, 2009
- Rahul Dravid to quit ODI and Twenty20 cricket after England series - Aug 07, 2011
- 'Smug' Collingwood wants to dominate Aussies and the world in ODIs - Jun 26, 2010
- Injured Sehwag out of South Africa-India ODI series - Dec 30, 2010
- South Africa-New Zealand battle could be close: Botha - Mar 22, 2011
- India, South Africa outstanding teams: Ponting - Feb 11, 2011
- Smith set for a last hurrah at World Cup - Feb 10, 2011
- Arthur says Gibbs can re-invigorate his career in Australia - Jan 11, 2009
Tags: australia melbourne, better tomorrow, centurion, daily telegraph, game series, graeme smith, jacques kallis, johan botha, massive crowd, match, neil mckenzie, ricky, ricky ponting, skipper, south africa, t20 world cup, third test, twenty20 international, two games, wanderers