Boston Marathon Results Declared, Africans DominateApril 20th, 2010 - 8:12 pm ICT by GD
By Gina Gomez
Boston, Apr 20, (THAINDIAN NEWS) The 114th Boston Marathon took place yesterday amidst loud cheering from supporters of the runners. Right after the results were announced it was clear that participants from Kenya and Ethiopia were the ones to dominate the winning list of the competition. The winner of the race was Robert Kiprono Cheruiyot of Kenya.
While running to his win, Robert Kiprono Cheruiyot managed to break some records on the way. Considering that he is only 20 years of age, the runner achieved a feat when he completed his race at a record time of 2 hours, 5 minutes and 52 seconds. The winner carried home a prize money of $150,000. While Robert Kiprono Cheruiyot was the winner from the men’s camp, Teyba Erkesso won the race on behalf of the women with the same prize money to her name.
This was the second running event for Robert Kiprono Cheruiyot who was previously spotted at the Frankfurt Marathon, running well but not successfully. Robert Kiprono Cheruiyot received an additional amount of $25,000 for having set a record in this year’s Boston Marathon. While Robert Kiprono Cheruiyot and Teyba Erkesso were in the first and second positions, Deriba Merga, Americans Ryan Hall and Meb Keflezighi secured the third, fourth and fifth positions respectively.
The winners in the other categories have also been announced. Ernst Van Dyk and Wakako Tsuchida were the winners in the ‘wheelchair’ category from the men’s and women’s categories respectively, while Pier Triangeli Jr. and Kirstie-Louie Honeywill-Sykes got the prize representing the handicapped category in the Marathon. Two Americans occupied slots in the Top 5 positions, which was again another record in this year’s Marathon.
- Meb Keflezighi, First American Man To Finish NYC Marathon After 1982 - Nov 02, 2009
- Kenya eyes seven golds at London Olympics - Jul 17, 2012
- Kenya's Kipsang to debut in Berlin Marathon - Sep 14, 2012
- London Marathon Results 2010 - Apr 25, 2010
- Mexico City marathon attracts 18,000 runners - Aug 22, 2012
- Big star cast for Airtel Delhi Half Marathon - Nov 26, 2011
- Results Of Chicago Marathon 2010 - Oct 11, 2010
- Sammy Wanjiru wins the Chicago Marathon 2010 - Oct 10, 2010
- World marathon record will soon fall: Kenyan runners - Feb 08, 2012
- Mumbai Marathon: Kenya's Moiben, Ethiopia's Abeyo win (Lead) - Jan 15, 2012
- Salwan Marathon, an organisational marvel - Nov 06, 2011
- Kenyan runners win Belgrade international marathon - Apr 23, 2012
- Tsegay favourite to win Delhi Half Marathon - Sep 10, 2012
- Kenyan and Ethiopian runners win Istanbul marathon - Oct 17, 2011
- No pomp as downcast Kenyans return from London Games - Aug 16, 2012
Tags: africans, boston marathon, boston marathon results, cheruiyot, ernst van dyk, frankfurt marathon, gina gomez, kenya, meb, merga, participants, prize money, record time, runners, ryan hall, slots, sykes, wakako, wheelchair, winner of the race