Bosque to name Spanish squad after May 25May 5th, 2012 - 4:06 pm ICT by IANS
Madrid, May 5 (IANS) Spain coach Vicente del Bosque said his definitive squad for the European Champions will be named after the Copa del Rey final between Athletic Club Bilbao and FC Barcelona.
Several players from both clubs who will be playing the cup final May 25 are certain to be included in the final squad, reported Xinhua.
Meanwhile, the coach, who led the defending European Champions to the 2010 World Cup triumph, will give a preliminary list May 16 in which the names of players from Athletic, Barcelona and Chelsea’s Juan Mata and Fernando Torres will not feature.
He admitted that naming the squad would not be easy.
“It is normal for the players to be normal but we will have to take painful decisions because the team is the most important thing. I have some doubts, but also clear with some things,” he said.
David Villa, who broke his leg in December, hasn’t returned to action causing concerns over his fitness. He has been the highest goal scorer for the Spanish national side.
“I spoke with his coach (Pep Guardiola) and enquired about his condition and will wait until the last moment,” said Del Bosque, who added that former Real Madrid striker Raul Gonzalez, who has enjoyed two successful years with Schalke 04 in Germany, is also up for consideration.
The Spain coach spoke of the need to have a good atmosphere in the squad.
Recognizing threats from sides such as Italy, France, Germany and Holland, he felt defending their Euro 2008 title would be a challenging task.
“We have an historic challenge ahead of us if we win the European Championship for the second successive time. Nobody has done that and it is a challenge without precedent,” he said.
- Coach Del Bosque recalls Torres and Mata in Spanish squad - May 22, 2012
- Spain coach Del Bosque names Euro squad - May 27, 2012
- Last chance for fringe players as Spain face Serbia - May 25, 2012
- Del Bosque hints at taking uncapped players to Euro 2012 - May 16, 2012
- Fatigue and injury problems for Spain - Jun 02, 2012
- Navas and Monreal back in Spain's squad for England, Costa Rica friendlies - Nov 08, 2011
- Barcelona striker Villa out of Euro 2012 - May 23, 2012
- Comfortable win for Spain in Euro warm-up - May 27, 2012
- Torres dropped by Del Bosque for friendly - Feb 24, 2012
- Guardiola prepares for last league game as Barca coach - May 11, 2012
- Alba lone new face in Spain's squad for Euro 2012 qualifiers - Sep 30, 2011
- Spain prepare for Euro defence with China game - Jun 02, 2012
- Torres defends his selection in Spain's Euro squad - May 29, 2012
- Barca look to narrow Primera Liga gap with Real - Mar 30, 2012
- Del Bosque: Raul could go to Euro 2012 - Apr 14, 2012
Tags: athletic club bilbao, copa del rey, copa del rey final, euro 2008, european champions, fc barcelona, fernando torres, highest goal scorer, historic challenge, italy france, juan mata, last moment, painful decisions, pep guardiola, raul gonzalez, real madrid, schalke 04, vicente del bosque, world cup triumph, xinhua