Bosnian-Serb race riot at Australian Open leads to eviction of 30January 23rd, 2009 - 4:55 pm ICT by ANI
Melbourne, Jan.23 (ANI): At least thirty Bosnian and Serb tennis fans were ejected from the Australian Open following a race riot on Friday.
According to the Daily Telegraph, two groups of fans were involved in what police called a “chair throwing competition” in Garden Square at Melbourne Park around 4 p.m. this afternoon.
Two people were charged with riotous behaviour and a third was given an on-the-spot fine.
A chair hit one woman during the confrontation, and she sustained minor injuries. Police say she was not connected to either group and does not want to take the matter further.
Police were later forced to intervene again when the fans continued their confrontation outside the venue.
Inspector Chris Duthie, speaking at a press conference moments ago, said the majority of the fans were not wearing national colours, making it difficult for police to anticipate the incident.
The scuffle broke out following a match between Serbian tennis player Novak Djokovic and Bosnian born Amer Delic, who now lives in America.
Defending champion Djokovic won the match 6-2 4-6 6-3 7-6 (7-4).
Before today’’s match, Delic wrote on his personal blog to appeal for calm from his fans ahead the Djokovic clash in light of their countries” troubled history.
“As we all know, Bosnians and Serbs have had some differences in the past. However, this is not the place nor time to settle those differences,” he wrote in his blog.
Police removed some fans from the arena during Delic’’s Wednesday match against France’’s Paul-Henri Mathieu, who compared the noise and heckling to a football game. (ANI)
- Oz Police studying tapes of Australian Open violence - Jan 24, 2009
- Ethnic violence breaks out in Australian Open (Australian Open diary) - Jan 23, 2009
- Federer masters winds to cruise past Mathieu at US Open - Sep 05, 2010
- Greatest match of my life: Djokovic - Jan 30, 2012
- Balkan rivalries remain at a simmer as Djokovic advances - Jan 23, 2009
- Federer throttles Mathieu to enter second week of US Open - Sep 05, 2010
- Jokovic struggles with court and qualifier before winning - May 09, 2012
- Novak Djokovic Registers Second Australian Open Title, Beats Andy Murray - Jan 30, 2011
- Murray first Brit to win Grand Slam singles title (Lead) - Sep 11, 2012
- US Open: Murray wins Grand Slam title at last (Second Lead) - Sep 11, 2012
- Djokovic beats Nadal to win maiden Wimbledon title (Lead) - Jul 04, 2011
- Djokovic: Taking on Nadal in French Open final is ultimate challenge - Jun 09, 2012
- US Open: Djokovic into semis; Nadal, Murray, Roddick reach quarters - Sep 09, 2011
- Belgian rivals set up fourth-round showdown, Isner crashes - Jun 26, 2010
- Olympic tennis: Britain's Murray reaches semis - Aug 02, 2012
Tags: amer delic, australian open, confrontation, daily telegraph, defending champion, football game, heckling, melbourne park, minor injuries, national colours, novak djokovic, paul henri mathieu, personal blog, race riot, riotous behaviour, s paul, serbian, tennis fans, tennis player, troubled history