Bose bowls Bengal into a strong positionDecember 19th, 2008 - 9:27 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 19 (IANS) A brilliant five-wicket haul by Ranadeb Bose gave Bengal a firm grip over their Ranji Trophy Plate semi-final match against Goa on the second day of the match here Friday.At the close of play, Goa were struggling at 95 for five in reply to Bengal’s first innings score of 337 with Aniket Desai batting on 43 and Ryan Ninan on 20 after poor light robbed 28 overs of the day’s play at the Karnail Singh Stadium. Bose picked up all his five wickets conceding 33 runs.
Bengal, resuming at overnight 257/5, could not go far because their star batsman Sourav Ganguly (69) failed to add his score, falling to the second ball of the day, Desai taking a straightforward catch at point off medium-pacer Harshad Gadekar. In his next over, Gadekar dismissed top scorer Dibendu Chakraborty (82) as Bengal slumped to 263/7.
But it was the last wicket partnership of 41-runs between Sourav Sarkar (60) and Bose (3 not out) that helped Bengal put up a challenging total on the board.
Bose was not done yet. He came out to use the overcast conditions to swing the ball both ways to trouble the Goa batsmen.
Opener Sagun Kamat was the first to go as Goa went for lunch at five for one. Captain Swapnil Asnodkar (1), Adwait Katkar (9), Jagdeesh Arun Kumar (16), Ajay Ratra made a beeline and Bose picked up his third five-wicket haul of the season. In his first spell of eight overs, Bose conceded 25 runs in eight overs for his five wickets.
Desai and Ninan then resurrected the Goa innings. They did not attempt any extravagant shots and accepted the light when offered to ensure that Goa ended the second day without any further loss.
Bose is the third highest wicket taker in the Plate group.
“I think the task in still unfinished as they still have five more wickets. We have to ensure that we get the first innings lead. Today I could make the best of the overcast conditions. I am a swing bowler and I had to pitch the ball up and in right areas for it to wobble,” he said.
Brief scores: Bengal 337 (Dibendu Chakraborty 82, Sourav Ganguly 69; Saurabh Bandekar 6/75). Goa 95/5 (Aniket Desai 43 batting; Ranadeb Bose 5/33).
- Bad light play spoil sport for Bengal in Ranji Trophy - Dec 20, 2008
- Ranji Trophy: Delhi take slender lead against MP - Dec 07, 2011
- Vijay Hazare Trophy: Dinda's fifer takes Bengal to semis - Mar 06, 2012
- Bengal spinners disappoint as Railways take control - Dec 16, 2010
- Ranji Trophy: Railways in quarters with innings win over Bengal - Dec 18, 2010
- Karnataka and Tamil Nadu lead Ranji Super League groups - Nov 23, 2009
- Mission accomplished for Ganguly, Bengal go into Super League - Dec 21, 2008
- Chakraborty, Ganguly keep Bengal in hunt - Dec 18, 2008
- Ranji Trophy: Ganguly scores century against Haryana - Dec 01, 2011
- India suffer batting collapse, Hilfenhaus bags maiden fifer (Lead) - Dec 28, 2011
- Bengal staring at innings defeat against Railways - Dec 17, 2010
- Former India fast bowler Surendranath dead - May 05, 2012
- Golden debuts in 1996 gave India teeth to fight overseas - Jul 18, 2011
- Sudhindra's seven-wicket haul puts Madhya Pradesh on top - Dec 15, 2011
- First Test evenly poised as 15 wickets fall on third day (Roundup) - Dec 28, 2011