Bopanna-Qureshi lose to Llodra-ZimonjocNovember 22nd, 2011 - 10:09 pm ICT by IANS
London, Nov 22 (IANS) India’s Rohan Bopanna and Pakistan’s Aisam-Ul-Haq Qureshi wasted too many opportunities to go down 6-7(6), 3-6 to second seeds Michael Llodra of France and Nenad Zimonjic of Serbia in a dramatic Group B match of the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals here Tuesday.
Both the pairs had lost their opening round matches. With Bopanna and Qureshi losing two in two, it is virtually the end of road for the fifth seeded Indo-Pak Express.
Bopanna and Qureshi had beaten Llodra and Zimonjic at the recent BNP Paribas Masters, en route to the Paris title, but could not stretch their winning run here.
The first set went with serve with holds till 4-4, when three mistimed volleys put Llodra under pressure on serve. Llodra and Zimonjic saved one break point, but at sudden death deuce, Bopanna ripped a backhand winner down the line past Zimonjic.
In the next game, Qureshi over-hit a smash long of the baseline at set point, 40/30. In the sudden-death decider, Llodra hit a backhand winner past Bopanna for 5-5.
The set was finally decided on a tie-break. Llodra and Zimonjic took a 2-0 lead, before Bopanna and Qureshi won six straight points to 6-2. They squandered three set point chances.
Bopanna and Qureshi then lost their concentration. At 6-5, Bopanna lob forehand went inside the video scoreboard above the Centre Court. Zimonjic thought he and Llodra had won the point, but the ball dropped into play and Llodra fired a smash winner at Qureshi. After consultation with the umpire and the ATP supervisor, the point was replayed. Llodra and Zimonjic completed their streak of six points to win the 50-minute set, when Bopanna hit a forehand volley long.
In the second set, Llodra and Zimonjic created one break point opportunity in the third game and the latter hit a backhand return winner past a net-rushing Bopanna.
The Indian then went on to strike two unreturned serves to hold for 2-1.
Qureshi came under fire at 2-2, dropping his serve. After Zimonjic held to love for a
5-3 lead, Qureshi double-faulted twice to lose his serve for the third time in the match that last 84 minutes.
They drop to a 38-25 season record, highlighted by three titles. The pair also lost their round-robin opener to Max Mirnyi and Daniel Nestor on Sunday.
- Bopanna-Qureshi lose tense opener in World Tour Finals - Nov 21, 2011
- Bopanna-Qureshi go down fighting in French Open - Jun 02, 2011
- Bhupathi and Paes crash out of ATP World Tour finals - Nov 27, 2011
- Bopanna-Qureshi lose third consecutive match - Nov 24, 2011
- Bhupathi-Bopanna knocked out of Australian Open (Lead) - Jan 22, 2012
- Bhupathi-Mirnyi to clash with Nestor-Zimonjic in World Tour Finals - Nov 28, 2010
- Paes-Bhupathi lose first round encounter in London - Nov 21, 2011
- Bopanna-Qureshi win Paris Masters - Nov 14, 2011
- US Open: Azarenka overcomes Stosur to reach semis (Lead) - Sep 05, 2012
- Paes-Bhupathi advance to semis, Bopanna-Qureshi out - Aug 20, 2011
- Davis Cup: Bopanna-Somdev lose marathon doubles match, India down 1-2 (Lead) - Mar 06, 2011
- Paes-Stepanek beat Marrero-Verdasco, meet Bryan brothers in semis - Mar 29, 2012
- Bhupathi-Bopanna knock out top seeds to make semis - May 19, 2012
- Federer adds more records on way to London final - Nov 27, 2011
- Bopanna-Qureshi win second ATP World Tour team title (Lead) - Jun 12, 2011
Tags: aisam ul haq, aisam ul haq qureshi, atp world tour, barclays, bnp paribas, bnp paribas masters, break point, dramatic group, forehand, indo, michael llodra, nenad zimonjic, rohan bopanna, six points, straight points, sudden death, third game, tie break, umpire, volley