Bonnie Richardson the ‘one girl army’June 7th, 2009 - 8:33 pm ICT by GD
For the second time in a row, Rochelle athlete Bonnie Richardson won the Class 1A girls team state championship all by herself. This feat once again makes the 14 year old freckled faced Bonnie and her team the best small high school track team in all of Texas.
On her way to the consecutive Class A girls team state title, Bonnie single handedly gave a beating to 56 other participating schools. As a reward for her extraordinary feat she will be getting to keep state championship trophy for the second all by herself, as there is no other member in her team. A ‘one girl army’ is what she is.
Bonnie on her way to creating history for the second time won four individual medals in five events. She won gold in the long jump and high jump. Silver in the discus throw and bronze in the 200 meters. The fifth event that she took part was 100 meters, where she came in fourth.
At the end of the day, her total points amounted to a total of 38 points which was good enough for her to finish first in the overall tally and two points ahead of runner-up Cayuga.
“It’s great. It’s over. It’s done. It’s nice that I can relax now.” Bonnie Richardson said.
Bonnie who is the daughter a Rochelle High teacher and the rancher had instantly gained celebrity status and Texas A&M track scholarship last year itself with her photographs hitting the national magazines. “I still get phone calls, and that kind of creeps me out because I don’t know how they got my number,” she says.
Bonnie will be heading to Texas A&M this coming fall.
- Mayookha, Om Prakash win bronze in Asian Athletics - Jul 09, 2011
- Krishna Poonia wins silver in US meet - May 05, 2012
- CWG athletics: Kavita wins historic bronze for India (Lead) - Oct 09, 2010
- Liu Xiang leads China's medal charge in London - Jul 09, 2012
- Mayookha, Om Prakash win bronze in Asian Athletics (Lead) - Jul 09, 2011
- Krishna Poonia crosses the 63m barrier - Jul 18, 2012
- CWG Athletics: Krishna ends 52-year wait for gold, India sweeps women's discus (Roundup) - Oct 12, 2010
- Olympics: Saina first Indian shuttler in semis, Paes-Sania advance (India Intro Roundup) - Aug 03, 2012
- India pinning hopes on Mayookha and Ram for Asian Grand Prix - May 19, 2011
- Sprint double for Dutee Chand of Odisha - Jul 14, 2012
- CWG athletics: Poonia breaks 52-year gold jinx, India sweeps women's discus (Lead) - Oct 11, 2010
- After a historic bronze, Kavita aims for Asian Games gold - Oct 09, 2010
- Chinese judokas set sight on heavyweight classes - Jul 09, 2012
- World Athletics: Mayookha qualifies for long jump finals - Aug 27, 2011
- Archer Deepika humbled in junior nationals - Dec 28, 2010
Tags: athlete, celebrity status, championship trophy, class 1a, discus throw, girl army, girls team, gold, high jump, high school track, long jump, medals, national magazines, participating schools, phone calls, photographs, school track team, second time, tally, track scholarship