Bolt wins Laureus sports awardJune 11th, 2009 - 2:30 pm ICT by IANS
Toronto, June 11 (DPA) Triple Olympic champion Usain Bolt was named winner of the 2009 Laureus World Sportsman of the Year Award.
At the Beijing Olympics, the Jamaican sprint star became the first man in history to win the 100 metres, 200 metres and 4×100 metres relay gold medals in world record times at the same Games.
Bolt, 22, received the award from Laureus World Sports Academy chairman Edwin Moses and academy member Michael Johnson on the eve of the Festival of Excellence track and field meet here Wednesday.
Bolt’s 200 metres time in Beijing broke the long-standing world record of 19.32 seconds set by Johnson in the 1996 Olympics in Atlanta.
The other nominees were Olympic swimmer Michael Phelps, who won eight gold medals in Beijing, French Open and Wimbledon champion Rafael Nadal, Formula One motor-racing champion Lewis Hamilton, MotoGP champion Valentino Rossi and Manchester United footballer Cristiano Ronaldo.
- Bolt will face stiff challenge from Blake: Holmes - May 04, 2012
- Olympic athletics: Bolt storms to 200m glory to make history - Aug 10, 2012
- Bolt screams to Olympic 100m gold (Lead) - Aug 06, 2012
- Rogge lauds athletes, says Olympics happy and glorious (Lead) - Aug 13, 2012
- Olympics: Bolt leads Jamaica to record sprint relay gold - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympics: Jamaica celebrates historic 200m one-two-three - Aug 10, 2012
- Phelps, Lochte showdown in 200m medley - Aug 02, 2012
- Bolt to take part in Bislett Games in June - Jan 12, 2012
- Bolt set for Stockholm return - Jul 14, 2011
- Nadal, Messi nominated for Laureus Sportsman of the Year award - Jan 11, 2011
- Olympics won't be easy for Bolt: Mennea - Jul 13, 2012
- Olympics: Bolt retains sprint titles, US overtakes China in medal tally (Roundup) - Aug 10, 2012
- Coach key to my success, says Bolt - Sep 13, 2012
- Rio to host Laureus World Sports Awards - Sep 09, 2012
- Djokovic, Messi favourites at Laureus awards - Feb 02, 2012
Tags: 1996 olympics, academy member, beijing olympics, edwin moses, footballer cristiano ronaldo, gold medals, laureus sports award, laureus world sports, laureus world sports academy, lewis hamilton, manchester united, member michael, michael phelps, olympic champion, olympic swimmer michael, rafael nadal, sprint star, time in beijing, valentino rossi, wimbledon champion