Bolt screams to Olympic 100m gold (Lead)August 6th, 2012 - 4:30 am ICT by IANS
London, Aug 6 (IANS) Usain Bolt won Olympic gold in the men’s 100 metres Sunday, screaming to the line in an Olympic record of 9.63 seconds.
The Jamaican collected his fourth career Olympic gold ahead of world champion teammate Yohan Blake, who clocked 9.75 for silver, with 2004 champion Justin Gatlin taking the bronze in 9.79 seconds.
“I knew it was going to be like this,” Bolt said with typical self-assuredness.
Bolt’s world record of 9.58 seconds, posted in 2009, remained intact, but it was still the second-fastest 100 metres time of all time.
The 25-year-old got off to a customary poor start, but switched gear at 50 metres to storm past Gatlin and Blake and across the line.
“I was slightly worried about my start, I slipped a little in the blocks. I don’t have the best reactions, but I secured it and that’s the key,” said Bolt.
“My coach told me to stop worrying about the start and concentrate on the end because that’s my best.”
Bolt adds the title to the 100 metres, the 200 metres, and the 4×100 metres relay gold medals that he won in Beijing.
The 2007 world champion Tyson Gay came fourth with 9.80.
- Gay says Olympic 100m open affair after Paris win - Jul 08, 2012
- Olympic athletics: Bolt storms to 200m glory to make history - Aug 10, 2012
- Olympics: Blake downplays experience factor in 100m contest - Aug 02, 2012
- Olympics: Bolt admits to pressure ahead of 100m conquest - Aug 07, 2012
- Bolt beaten in 100m at Jamaican Olympic trials - Jun 30, 2012
- Olympic athletics: Bolt claims historic double with 200m gold (Lead) - Aug 10, 2012
- Carl Lewis doubts Bolt's Olympics 100m title defence - Jul 15, 2012
- Bolt unfazed despite two shockers from Blake - Jul 05, 2012
- Olympics athletics: Bolt, Blake headlines semi-finalists for 100m - Aug 05, 2012
- Blake stuns Bolt for second time to win 200m - Jul 02, 2012
- Bolt says 18 seconds a possibility for 200m - Jun 08, 2012
- Olympics: Jamaicans rejoice as Bolt wins 100m final - Aug 06, 2012
- Olympic athletics: Bolt warns Blake off 200m gold - Aug 08, 2012
- Forget winning 200m title, Bolt tells Blake - Aug 08, 2012
- Coach key to my success, says Bolt - Sep 13, 2012