Bolt beaten in 100m at Jamaican Olympic trialsJune 30th, 2012 - 3:29 pm ICT by IANS
Kingston, June 30 (IANS) World champion Yohan Blake edged world record holder Usain Bolt to win the men’s 100-metre in 9.75 seconds at the Jamaican Olympic Athletic Trials here.
Blake Friday became the fourth-fastest man ever in the event as he ran a personal best and the fastest time in the world this year, reported Xinhua.
“Coach (Glen) Mills told me I can do it and I believed,” he said. “The Olympics is the focus right now.”
Reigning Olympic champion Bolt was second in 9.86 seconds after a poor start, and Asafa Powell snatched the third Olympic spot in 9.88 in a star-studded final.
“He’s a class runner without a doubt and I have said it over the years that he is one of the best. So for me it’s just one of those things,” Bolt said of Blake.
Bolt said he was distracted in the blocks, which affected his start.
“In the finals Nesta (Carter) moved beside me and when the gun went I was not focussed,” Bolt said. “It is hard to run down people like Asafa and Blake with his top end speed. But for me to get left in the blocks like that is really bad.
“In the semis again, the guy next to me moved and it threw me off. It is kind of hard to ignore them so when they move it’s going to throw me off a little bit.”
- Olympics: Blake downplays experience factor in 100m contest - Aug 02, 2012
- Bolt screams to Olympic 100m gold (Lead) - Aug 06, 2012
- Sluggish Bolt wins as sharp Blake also triumphs - Sep 08, 2012
- Olympics athletics: Bolt, Blake headlines semi-finalists for 100m - Aug 05, 2012
- Olympics: Jamaicans rejoice as Bolt wins 100m final - Aug 06, 2012
- Olympic athletics: Bolt warns Blake off 200m gold - Aug 08, 2012
- Forget winning 200m title, Bolt tells Blake - Aug 08, 2012
- Tired Bolt eyes world-leading time in Brussels - Sep 16, 2011
- Bolt unfazed despite two shockers from Blake - Jul 05, 2012
- I will be hard to beat next season: Blake - Sep 21, 2012
- Bolt sparkles but upstaged by amazing Blake - Sep 17, 2011
- Bolt, Blake break meet records in Lausanne - Aug 24, 2012
- Olympics: Bolt, Blake headline weekend track action - Aug 03, 2012
- Olympic athletics: Bolt claims historic double with 200m gold (Lead) - Aug 10, 2012
- Carl Lewis doubts Bolt's Olympics 100m title defence - Jul 15, 2012
Tags: 100m, asafa powell, coach, doubt, fastest man, fastest time, kingston, little bit, olympic champion, olympic spot, olympic trials, olympics, personal best, semis, time in the world, world champion, world record holder, xinhua, yohan blake