Bollywood lends colour as IPL 3 ends with style (Lead)April 25th, 2010 - 11:51 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, April 25 (IANS) It was a carnival, no less as a laser show, a bevy of Bollywood stars, dancers donning elaborate feathered headdresses and furs, stilt-walkers and a mini parade float brought the curtain down on the third edition of the Indian Premier League (IPL) Sunday night.
As Chennai Super Kings and Mumbai Indians pulled up their sleeves to fight the final battle at the D.Y.Patil Stadium in Navi Mumbai, the tournament ended with style and pomp. Marking the sold-out gala event were big names in showbiz.
Crisscrossing arcs of colourful lights spun a web across the ground and stands during the laser show as soon as the lights went off.
Sounds of “Jai Ho” reverberated in the air as music maestro A. R. Rahman set the pace for an evening with “Chale chalo” from the film “Lagaan”. Dressed in pristine white, the Oscar and Grammy winning artiste set the tone for lively closing ceremony.
After a quick glimpse of Bollywood diva Sushmita Sen in the crowd, sizzling Bipasha Basu appeared on stage with dancers, who swayed behind her doing the round of the stadium in an open truck. Dressed in black shorts, black top and boots, she jived on the hit title tracks of “Race” and “All The Best”.
Tinsel town’s chocolate boy Shahid Kapoor made a terrific entry atop a hovercraft. He enthralled the public with his power-packed performance on the song “Chaska” from his upcoming film “Badmaash Company” before he broke into a jig on the popular song “Dhan te nan”. The actor also danced with cheer leaders.
“I had a great time. I thought we are actors and we should prove our fitness. I will be rooting for Mumbai Indians. It is going to be a night to remember,” said Shahid, who even sported a T-shirt of his favourite team.
Rahman set the final tone of the extravaganza with much fanfare as he swept the audience away with his songs “Maa tujhe salaam” and “Jai ho”.
“Maa tujhe salaam” was probably the best way to wrap up the closing ceremony and hand over the torch to the fighters of the day, the Chennai Super Kings and Mumbai Indians.
Another highlight of the evening was DJ Shalom D’Souza aka DJ Hi Frequency, who doesn’t like cricket, but rocked the stadium with foot-tapping Bollywood hits.
Shalom played her favourite Bollywood tracks along with her DJing partner DJ Devika and in-house IPL DJ Romit. This was only her second public performance and she was all excited about performing in front of 55,000 people. And yes, she’s all of seven years old.
IPL commissioner Lalit Modi, whose future hangs in balance, too was seen enjoying the evening.
One of the six largest sporting events in the world today, the IPL has over the past couple of weeks been mired in controversies and allegations of corruption and plough-back of slush money from tax havens abroad.
- IPL draws to ringing close with Bollywood and more - Apr 25, 2010
- Seven-year-old DJ to rock the stadium at IPL final - Apr 25, 2010
- Potpourri of Indian culture at Games opening ceremony - Sep 28, 2010
- Rahman brings CWG ceremony to electrifying climax - Oct 04, 2010
- 'Jai Ho' India for winning World Cup: Rahman - Apr 03, 2011
- Kailash Kher sets Delhiites grooving at Rahman's concert - Aug 12, 2009
- Shahid floored by 'Black Swan' (Movie Snippets) - Mar 08, 2011
- Jai Ho! Indian concert on Australia Day - Jan 22, 2010
- Remembering Rahman's best songs on his 44th birthday - Jan 05, 2010
- 'Jiyo utho...' targets young generation: CWG lyricist Mehboob - Sep 01, 2010
- Rahman performs at Oscars again - Feb 27, 2012
- Rahman got one Oscar and then the other one was a bonus: Gulzar - Mar 02, 2011
- SRK ashamed of Wankhede brawl, says he's no role model - May 30, 2012
- Supporting Hazare because 'it's cool' - Aug 24, 2011
- Vivek, Ameesha jazz up 34th National Games' opening show (Lead) - Feb 12, 2011
Tags: bevy, bipasha basu, black shorts, bollywood stars, chalo, chaska, cheer leaders, chocolate boy, closing ceremony, favourite team, gala event, headdresses, hovercraft, music maestro, navi mumbai, pomp, popular song, shahid kapoor, tinsel town, upcoming film