Bollinger a casualty of Lee’s Ashes campaignMay 6th, 2009 - 3:21 pm ICT by ANI
Sydney, May 6 (ANI): New South Wales fast bowler Doug Bollinger must be feeling a touch unlucky not to have made it to the Australian Twenty20 squad for next month’s World Cup, especially in the wake of the selectors pitching for 32-year-old Brett Lee, who has not bowled in a match since December last year.
After a string of superb performances in the one-dayers against Pakistan, Bollinger was looming as the next cab off the rank among Australia’s pacers, but he was squeezed out of the squad by Lee’s elevation.
Bollinger was NSW’s T20 player of the year when they won the domestic title last summer and his efforts against Pakistan had moved him to the brink of World Cup selection, despite an earlier omission from a preliminary 30-man squad, the Sydney Morning Herald reports.
Bollinger was unavailable for comment last night.
Hilditch said Lee’s selection was an essential part of his preparation for the Ashes.
Australian squad: Ricky Ponting (capt), Michael Clarke, Nathan Bracken, Brad Haddin, Nathan Hauritz, Ben Hilfenhaus, James Hopes, David Hussey, Mike Hussey, Mitchell Johnson, Brett Lee, Peter Siddle, Andrew Symonds, David Warner, Shane Watson. (ANI)
- Spinners Hauritz, Doherty to face off for World Cup spot - Jan 11, 2011
- Lee, Tait recalled for first ODI against England - Jan 11, 2011
- CA drops David Hussey, Bracken and Clark from contracted players list - Apr 07, 2010
- Hastings in Australia's World Cup squad, Siddle dropped - Jan 18, 2011
- Hastings a surprise selection in Australia World Cup squad - Jan 18, 2011
- Uncapped Doherty, Smith in Oz squad in place of Hauritz for first Ashes Test - Nov 20, 2010
- Australia calls up Dutch pacer Nannes for 20-20 clash against England - Aug 11, 2009
- Lee, Hodge named in Oz 30-man 2011 World Cup squad - Dec 17, 2010
- Pak-born Khawaja becomes first Muslim to represent Australia in Test cricket - Jun 22, 2010
- Hussey, Siddle, Bracken dropped from Australia Twenty20 squad - Aug 11, 2009
- Oz selectors announce provisional 17-man Ashes squad for Gabba Test - Nov 15, 2010
- Johnson lucky to get a Cricket Australia central contract - Jun 22, 2012
- Aussie contract players for 2009-2010 season named - May 14, 2009
- Harris, Starc dropped from Windies tour, Haddin recalled - Feb 29, 2012
- Australia names 15-member squad for Champions Trophy - Aug 22, 2009
Tags: Andrew Symonds, bollinger, brett lee, cup selection, david hussey, david warner, hilditch, man squad, michael clarke, mike hussey, mitchell johnson, nathan bracken, nathan hauritz, new south wales, ponting, selectors, shane watson, siddle, sydney morning herald, t20