Boerrigter new face in Dutch squad, Babel makes comebackNovember 4th, 2011 - 8:14 pm ICT by IANS
The Hague, Nov 4 (IANS) Derk Boerrigter received his first call-up for the Netherlands national team as head coach Bert van Marwijk announced his squad for the forthcoming friendlies against Switzerland in Amsterdam (Nov 11) and Germany in Hamburg (Nov 15).
Boerrigter was transferred from last season’s first division champion RKC Waalwijk to Ajax this year, after he left the club in 2007. The 25-year-old left winger made a good impression, scoring three goals in 11 league matches and scoring once in four Champions League matches, Xinhua reported Friday.
Ryan Babel returned to the squad after an absence of almost one year. Both Boerrigter and Babel profit from the absence of injured Bayern Munchen striker Arjen Robben.
Compared to the pre-selection Eljero Elia (Juventus), Theo Janssen (Ajax) and injured Hamburger SV defender Jeffrey Bruma did not make it to the final squad.
The Dutch squad for friendlies against Switzerland and Germany is:
Vurnon Anita (Ajax), Ryan Babel (Hoffenheim), Derk Boerrigter (Ajax), Mark van Bommel (AC Milan), Khalid Boulahrouz (VfB Stuttgart), Edson Braafheid (Hoffenheim), John Heitinga (Everton), Klaas Jan Huntelaar (Schalke 04), Luuk de Jong (FC Twente), Nigel de Jong (Manchester City), Tim Krul (Newcastle United), Dirk Kuyt (Liverpool), Joris Mathijsen (Malaga), Robin van Persie (Arsenal), Stijn Schaars (Sporting Portugal), Wesley Sneijder (Internazionale), Maarten Stekelenburg (AS Roma), Kevin Strootman (PSV), Rafael van der Vaart (Tottenham Hotspur), Ron Vlaar (Feyenoord), Michel Vorm (Swansea City), Gregory van der Wiel (Ajax), Georginio Wijnaldum (PSV).
- Uncapped Narsingh and John in Dutch squad against England - Feb 24, 2012
- Pieters to miss Euro 2012 due to foot injury - May 08, 2012
- Van Marwijk drops Maduro, Emanuelson in Dutch Euro 2012 squad - May 16, 2012
- Van Marwijk includes uncapped Willems, Narsingh in Euro 2012 squad - May 27, 2012
- Dutch have no worries upfront, but defence vulnerable - Jun 02, 2012
- Feyenoord secure a Champions League prelim's ticket - May 07, 2012
- Dutch football league title becomes two-team race - Mar 26, 2012
- Krul, Fer withdraw from Dutch squad for World Cup qualifier - Sep 10, 2012
- Ajax to miss Sigthorsson for four more months - Sep 13, 2012
- PSV, AZ through to semi-finals in Dutch Cup - Feb 03, 2012
- Ajax move closer to Dutch title - Apr 16, 2012
- Ajax close in on Dutch title - Apr 23, 2012
- Ajax title party delayed despite win over FC Twente - Apr 30, 2012
- Pieters out for season, might miss Euro 2012 - Apr 17, 2012
- Twente crush PSV as AZ move back on top in Dutch football - Mar 05, 2012
Tags: bert van marwijk, dirk kuyt liverpool, jeffrey bruma, john heitinga, joris mathijsen, khalid boulahrouz, klaas jan huntelaar, mark van bommel, netherlands national team, rafael van der vaart, rkc waalwijk, robin van persie, ryan babel, schalke 04, tim krul, tottenham hotspur, van der wiel, van persie arsenal, vfb stuttgart, wesley sneijder