Board-players friction affecting Caribbean cricket: RichardsJune 16th, 2011 - 5:56 pm ICT by IANS
Antigua, June 16 (IANS) West Indies cricket great Sir Vivian Richards feels the constant differences between the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) and the West Indies Players’ Association is affecting the sport in the Caribbean islands.
Richards believes players are using their off-field issues as an excuse for their on-field performance.
“The players who are involved, such as the administrators and West Indies Players Association (WIPA), must come to a common consensus if they intend to have something solid in the future to represent, because at present things are going downhill,” Richards was quoted as saying in the Jamaica Gleaner.
“With all the squabbling and the personalities, at the end of the day they are the ones who will be responsible for the direction cricket takes,” he said.
“There are issues to be dealt with on both sides of the coin. When you have two parties involved, like WIPA and the WICB, there are definitely some issues and some personalities involved. They have to put away all the personal stuff and realise that there is one common cause.”
Richards, however, believes the importance of the sport to the region cannot be overlooked and, therefore, it should be protected.
“This is the only sport that we really participate together as a unit, and we bring all the different fragrances from all the countries that are represented, so it must be protected and enhanced,” he stated.
- Court battle looms as WIPA accuses Board of 'unreasonable restraints' - Aug 28, 2011
- Windies Players' Association sues Board for $20 million - Aug 27, 2011
- Windies board, players' association talks progress - Jun 22, 2012
- Richardson to mediate in West Indies cricket controversy - Jun 10, 2012
- WIPA gives seven days to WICB to apologise to Ramnarine - Jun 23, 2011
- Gayle meets West Indies Cricket chief to thrash out issues - Aug 24, 2011
- Ramnarine ready to negotiate despite WICB reservations - Jul 02, 2011
- Ramnarine resigns as WIPA president - Mar 27, 2012
- Gayle doesn't rule out playing in third Test - May 30, 2012
- Lack of will to end Gayle standoff with WICB: Dujon - Nov 08, 2011
- Players association welcomes Caricom's initiative on Gayle - Jul 05, 2011
- Chris Gayle recalled after high-level meeting - Jun 05, 2012
- Richards lambasts WICB for its handling of Gayle issue - Dec 16, 2011
- West Indies Board insists Gayle must withdraw comments - Oct 20, 2011
- WICB offers to meet with Gayle to end impasse - Jun 23, 2011
Tags: caribbean cricket, caribbean islands, consensus, excuse, field performance, fragrances, friction, jamaica gleaner, personal stuff, personalities, sir vivian richards, squabbling, west indies cricket, west indies cricket board, wicb, wipa