Board denies Gavaskar’s sacking reports

March 25th, 2008 - 9:26 pm ICT by admin  

A file-photo of Harbhajan Singh

Chennai, March 25 (IANS) The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCC) Tuesday denied reports of Sunil Gavaskar being removed as chairman of the International Cricket Council (ICC)’s cricket committee. Replying to a query on Gavaskar’s removal, BCCI treasurer N. Srinivasan said: “As far as we know, the ICC has not taken any action against Gavaskar and so, there is no question of commenting on these reports.”

He was speaking to the media after the meetings of BCCI’s finance and working committees categorically said the reports were “not correct”.

The news regarding Gavaskar’s sacking emerged out of a report in the London daily The Times, which reported that at last week’s ICC executive committee meeting in Dubai it was decided in an unanimous vote that Gavaskar should be asked to resign because of a conflict of interest between his honorary ICC position and his paid role as a columnist and commentator.

Apparently the ICC is incensed with Gavaskar’s reaction in his syndicated column where the legendary batsman described England and Australia as “dinosaurs” who cannot “open their eyes and see the reality”.

Gavaskar wrote: “The cricketing world has found that India has no longer a diffident voice but a confident one that knows what is good for its cricket, and will strive to get it.”

Gavaskar was defending his criticism of Mike Procter, the ICC Match Referee, in January after he had ruled against Harbhajan Singh for an allegedly racist aside to Andrew Symonds during the second Test match between Australia and India in Sydney.

There were reports that ICC were not happy with Gavaskar’s strong statements as it amounted to “clash of interests” in view of his position as the chairman of the cricket committee and also a television commentator.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in Sports |

Subscribe