Black Caps select pace bowler Arnel for first Test against IndiaMarch 12th, 2009 - 2:46 pm ICT by ANI
Wellington (New Zealand), Mar.12 (ANI): Northern Districts fast bowler Brent Arnel has been selected in the Black Caps squad for the first test against India at Hamilton next week.
New Zealand’’s cricket selectors have turned to an old hand and a new face in a desperate bid to constrain India’’s rampant batting line-up when the teams switch to test mode.
Arnel, who has previous experience in India when he toured there with New Zealand A last September, is the newcomer to a bowling unit reinforced by the recall of 45-test veteran Chris Martin.
Martin returns after being axed from the side following the 0-2 series loss to Australia in November.
Arnel, 30, is one of two new caps named in the 13-man squad. Martin Guptill also earns his first test cap at the top of the order.
Guptill, who replaced Jamie How for the fourth ODI against the West Indies in January, has been a revelation in his debut ODI season and was a logical choice to partner Auckland teammate Tim McIntosh.
Arnel made his first class debut for Northern Districts in 2005-06 and since then has taken 72 wickets at 26.88.
He has been chosen ahead of provincial teammate Tim Southee who was discarded from the ODI set-up after conceding a record 105 runs from 10 overs in Christchurch on Sunday.
New Zealand test squad: Daniel Vettori (captain), Brent Arnel, Daniel Flynn, James Franklin, Martin Guptill, Tim McIntosh, Brendon McCullum, Chris Martin, Kyle Mills, Iain O”Brien, Jeetan Patel, Jesse Ryder, Ross Taylor. (ANI)
- New Zealand opt to bat against India - Nov 12, 2010
- New Zealand names two uncapped players for India Tests - Oct 24, 2010
- New Zealand include seven rookies among World Cup probables - Dec 22, 2010
- New Zealand announces two new Test caps for India tour - Oct 24, 2010
- Tuffey replaces injured McKay in New Zealand test squad - Jan 05, 2011
- New Zealand drops Fulton for Napier Test - Dec 07, 2009
- James Franklin left out of New Zealand Cricket contract - Jul 01, 2011
- Kiwi pacer Arnel all set to debut against Australia - Mar 18, 2010
- India look to extending Test cricket domination - Nov 03, 2010
- Young Black Caps all rounder Williamson to debut against Australia in Hamilton - Mar 24, 2010
- Kiwi opener McIntosh wants to settle scores with India's Zak in Hyderabad - Nov 11, 2010
- Franklin joins New Zealand squad for Hamilton Test - Mar 25, 2010
- New Zealand choose to bat against India - Aug 31, 2012
- Pakistan eye first Test series win since 2007 as NZ struggle for form - Jan 13, 2011
- Tea scoreboard: India vs New Zealand, Second Test, Day 2 - Nov 13, 2010
Tags: arnel, black caps, brendon mccullum, chris martin, cricket selectors, daniel vettori, first test, guptill, james franklin, jeetan patel, kyle mills, logical choice, man squad, o brien, odi, ross taylor, test squad, tim mcintosh, wellington new zealand, wickets