Bishoo named Guyana’s cricketer-of-the-yearDecember 18th, 2011 - 2:12 pm ICT by IANS
Georgetown (Guyana), Dec 18 (IANS/CMC) West Indies leg-spinner Devendra Bishoo and fast bowler Subrina Munroe have been named Guyana’s cricketers-of-the-year.
The announcement came at the Guyana Cricket Board’s annual awards ceremony Wednesday.
Bishoo, 26, was named the Men’s Player-of-the-Year after he made an impact, having made his international debut for West Indies during the World Cup staged earlier this year in Asia.
Bishoo secured a place in the West Indies squad for the remainder of the year and finished 2011 with 39 wickets at 36.23 apiece in 10 Tests and 20 wickets at 23.80 in 10 One-day Internationals.
“It is always an honour when you are being recognised by your governing body of the sport you play, whether it is cricket, football, table tennis or even volleyball and I must say thanks to those who expressed their confidence in me, which enabled me to play for Guyana and now the West Indies,” said Bishoo.
On the women’s side, 26-year-old Munroe has not played many one-day internationals for the West Indies, but she was a member of the West Indies women’s team which qualified for the Women’s World Cup next year in Australia.
She has played four ODIs for West Indies, where she has taken one wicket for 68 runs.
Tagenarine Chanderpaul, son of West Indies batsman Shivnarine Chanderpaul, also earned the Under-15 Player-of-the-Year.
- Darren Bravo eyeing ICC Emerging Player honour - Sep 10, 2011
- Chanderpaul's son takes centre stage - Jul 04, 2012
- Eighth-wicket stand gives Windies women series win - May 07, 2012
- No Chris Gayle in West Indies squad for India - Nov 01, 2011
- Samuels, Bishoo, Kirk Edwards get WICB contracts - Oct 22, 2011
- Barath returns to Windies squad for final ODIs - Mar 22, 2012
- Daley's all-round effort lifts Windies to series win - Apr 30, 2012
- West Indies call up Shillingford for Trinidad Test - Apr 13, 2012
- Bishoo happy playing his part in Windies victory - Nov 03, 2011
- WICB chief to meet Guyana President over management issues - Aug 29, 2011
- Chanderpaul to work with young batsmen - Sep 29, 2011
- West Indies discards playing for recall - Jun 02, 2012
- Windies board worried about injury problems - Nov 29, 2011
- Ramdin, Shillingford recalled to Windies Test squad - Sep 23, 2011
- Deonarine named in Windies squad for first Test - Apr 05, 2012
Tags: awards ceremony, batsman, cmc, cricket board, cricket football, cricketer, cricketers, football table, georgetown guyana, governing body, honour, international debut, odis, remainder, shivnarine chanderpaul, table tennis, west indies, wicket, wickets, world cup