Bishoo dropped, in-form batsman Fudadin gets the nodApril 20th, 2012 - 4:08 pm ICT by IANS
Port of Spain (Trinidad), April 20 (IANS/CMC) Guyanese batsman Assad Fudadin has been called up to the West Indies squad for the final Test against Australia in Dominica, starting Monday, while highly rated leg-spinner Devendra Bishoo was dropped.
The 26-year-old left-hander has been rewarded for a prolific first-class season, scoring 576 runs at an average of 48, to finish as the second highest run-scorer.
Vice-captain Kirk Edwards has been ruled out of selection due to injury again.
Fudadin, a West Indies A player, is a seasoned campaigner at first class level, having played nearly 50 matches, and chief selector Clyde Butts said he would be an asset to the West Indies side.
“Fudadin has been a member of the West Indies A team for a while now and we have seen signs of development and improvement in him,” Butts said.
“This year he batted well in the regional four-day tournament, and made over 500 runs, including two centuries. He was very consistent in the middle-order. He can also bowl medium-pace and that is an asset.”
Fudadin will join a West Indies side hunting victory next week in order to square the three-Test series.
The Windies lost the first game in Barbados by three wickets and rain forced a draw in the second Test which ended here Thursday.
Darren Sammy (captain), Adrian Barath, Carlton Baugh, Kraigg Brathwaite, Darren Bravo, Shivnarine Chanderpaul, Narsingh Deonarine, Fidel Edwards, Assad Fudadin, Kieran Powell, Ravi Rampaul, Kemar Roach, Shane Shillingford.
- Pacer Gabriel in West Indies squad for England - Apr 28, 2012
- No Bravo for warm-up match against Black Caps - Jul 15, 2012
- West Indies call up Shillingford for Trinidad Test - Apr 13, 2012
- Edwards replaces Rampaul for Jamaica Test - Jul 31, 2012
- West Indies look for confidence booster in tour match - Jun 02, 2012
- Sammy keeps eyes on the skies as Windies face Lions - May 10, 2012
- Deonarine named in Windies squad for first Test - Apr 05, 2012
- Deonarine finally cleared for UK travel - May 10, 2012
- Edwards out, Ramdin returns as Windies vice captain - Jul 23, 2012
- Deonarine, Fudadin cleared to travel; Samuels arrives - May 09, 2012
- Deonarine, Fudadin shine with 50s as visa wait continues - May 08, 2012
- Sammy's half-century in vain as Aussies wrap up series - Apr 28, 2012
- Samuels to join Windies squad in England - May 08, 2012
- Chanderpaul joins 10,000-run club but Windies face defeat - Apr 27, 2012
- West Indies sweating on batting trio as tour bowls off - May 06, 2012
Tags: assad, barath, baugh, brathwaite, captain kirk, fidel edwards, final test, guyanese, kemar, left hander, medium pace, narsingh deonarine, port of spain, port of spain trinidad, ravi rampaul, second test, shivnarine chanderpaul, vice captain, wickets, windies