Bindra becomes fourth shooter to carry Indian flagOctober 3rd, 2010 - 8:42 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 3 (IANS) India’s only individual Olympic champion Abhinav Bindra Sunday became the fourth shooter to carry the national flag in a mega event.
Bindra, who won the gold in the 10 metre air rifle event in Beijing, was elated. He said it was a dream come true.
“As a 15-year-old I represented the country in my first Commonwealth Games in 2002 at Manchester. Today I am living a dream. To represent the country in the Commonwealth Games and also to carry the national flag is a great honour,” said Bindra, who was the youngest member of the Indian contingent in Manchester.
Since the 1982 Asian Games, Indian shooters have been flag bearers in different multi-event extravaganza.
The late Karni Singh, a silver medallist in skeet in the World Championships, was the flag bearer at the 1982 Asian Games. World champion pistol shooter Jaspal Rana carried the Indian flag at the 1998 Commonwealth Games in Kuala Lumpur.
Athens Olympics silver medallist Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore carried the Indian flag at the 2006 Melbourne Commonwealth Games and the 2008 Beijing Olympics.
- Gagan Narang becomes fifth shooter to carry Indian flag - Nov 12, 2010
- Asian Games: Narang battles fatigue to carry Indian flag (Lead) - Nov 12, 2010
- Abhinav Bindra takes athletes' oath at CWG opening ceremony - Oct 03, 2010
- Loudest cheers for India, grand welcome for Pakistan at CWG opener (LEAD) - Oct 03, 2010
- Sushil Kumar named India's flag-bearer at London Olympics (Lead) - Jul 15, 2012
- Olympics: India hope to get lion's share from the ranges (Preview) - Jul 27, 2012
- Junior world champion Noria replaces Rathore in CWG shooting squad - Sep 01, 2010
- Olympics: India on a medal count - Jul 27, 2012
- CWG silver lining: Increased funding for Indian sport (Year after CWG) - Sep 29, 2011
- Indian coach asks shooters to make the best of pressure - Jul 23, 2012
- No place for Rathore; Joydeep, Heena selected for London Olympics - Feb 19, 2012
- Shooter Narang opens medal count for India, wins bronze (Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
- Olympics: Shooter Gagan Narang opens medal count with bronze (Second Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
- Indian shooters aim to cross Melbourne medal tally - Sep 12, 2010
- Asher Noria is a future Olympic champion, says foreign coach - Oct 02, 2010
Tags: 2006 melbourne commonwealth games, 2008 beijing olympics, air rifle, asian games, athens olympics, first commonwealth, flag bearer, flag bearers, games world, indian flag, karni, living a dream, melbourne commonwealth games, national flag, olympic champion, pistol shooter, rajyavardhan singh rathore, silver medallist, skeet, world champion