Bicycles To Undergo Checks At Tour De FranceJune 24th, 2010 - 7:21 pm ICT by GD
By Ranjan Bhaduri
Switzerland, June 24, (THAINDIAN NEWS) The International Cycling Union which is Cycling’s governing body is going to perform tests at the Tour de France this year to make sure that none of the participants are cheating by using hidden motors in their cycles.
The decision has been taken after reports surfaced about Fabian Cancellara, a Swiss rider winning in two tournaments with the help of motorized bike. He won the Tour of Flanders and Paris-Roubaix this year but refuted the allegation of using motor in his cycle.
The UCI has woken up to the possibility of the cyclists cheating after a video posted on the web became viral which showed the cyclist pushing button on the handle of his cycle. It is available in the YouTube site and many other sites.
The UCI has decided to check every cycle in the Tour de France to find out if anyone has concealed any device in the frame. The UCI may check the bikes both at the beginning and end of a race to ensure that no cheating has taken place. Davide Cassani who used to be a racer himself has provided information to UCI bas to how one can cheat by using motors in the frame of a cycle in races. The move is being taken to ensure the competition remains fair to all.
The Tour De France is slated to start on July 3 in Rotterdam and it will come to an end on July 25 in Paris. The new measure adopted by the UCI is going to make things tougher for those cyclists who were hoping to win the race by suing illegal means.
- UCI to check for electric motors in bicycles at the Tour de France - Jun 24, 2010
- ICU To Scrutinize Electric Bicycles At The Tour De France - Jun 24, 2010
- Swiss cyclist Cancellara laughs off claims of winning races with electric bike - Jun 03, 2010
- Sagan wins again as crashes hit Tour de France - Jul 05, 2012
- Sagan makes it three stage wins on Tour - Jul 07, 2012
- Ex-world cycling champion Rasmussen gets 18-month ban - Jul 05, 2012
- Full text of Lance Armstrong's statement - Aug 24, 2012
- Tour de France winner Contador suspended due to doping case - Jan 27, 2011
- Tour de France champion Contador suspended after failing drug test - Sep 30, 2010
- Second stage of Tour de France gets underway - Jul 05, 2009
- Former world champion banned from Tour de France - Jun 19, 2009
- Kazakhstan's Vinokourov wins gold in Olympic road race - Jul 28, 2012
- Contador may face formal doping probe - Nov 10, 2010
- Wiggins wins time trial to become Britain's top Olympian - Aug 02, 2012
- Landis reveals Armstrong sold racing bikes to fund doping program - Jul 03, 2010
Tags: allegation, bas, bicycles, bikes, cassani, checks, cyclists, fabian cancellara, governing body, international cycling union, june 24, paris roubaix, participants, ranjan, rotterdam, switzerland, tour de france, tour of flanders, uci