Bhupathi-Vesnina lose in Wimbledon mixed doubles final (Lead)July 4th, 2011 - 12:57 am ICT by IANS
London, July 3 (IANS) India’s Mahesh Bhupathi and Elena Vesnina of Russia lost to Jurgen Melzer of Austria and Iveta Benesova of the Czech Republic 6-3, 6-2 in the Wimbledon mixed doubles final here Sunday.
Vesnina dropped her serve thrice and that was enough for Melzer and Benesova, seeded ninth, to wrap up the match in less than an hour.
Bhupathi was aiming for his eighth Grand Slam mixed doubles title. He has won with seven different partners. The Indian has won two mixed doubles titles here with Elena Likhovtseva of Russia in 2002 and Mary Pierce of France in 2005.
The Austrian-Czech pair have been in hot form in the tournament and did not lose a single set on their way to the title.
Melzer and Benesova carried on the same vein against the fourth seeds. They broke Vesnina in the fourth game to go 3-1 up and then held their serve tightly to win the first set.
Vesnina was broken in the third game of the second set with Melzer making some solid returns.
The Indo-Russian pair applied pressure on Benesova’s serve in the fourth game but the Czech player came up with an ace at 30-30 and held it for a 3-1 lead.
The Russian’s serve was again on target and she was broken in the seventh game. Benesova then served out the match.
- Bhupathi-Venina in mixed doubles final of Wimbledon - Jul 03, 2011
- Australian Open: Sania in quarters of doubles and mixed event - Jan 23, 2012
- Bhupathi-Bopanna in second round of Miami Masters - Mar 25, 2012
- Sania-Vesnina reach finals of Indian Wells - Mar 17, 2012
- Paes, Vesnina go down fighting in Wimbledon final - Jul 09, 2012
- US Open: Leander enters mixed doubles quarters - Sep 03, 2011
- US Open: Paes, Sania advance to quarterfinals - Sep 03, 2012
- US Open: Paes, Sania lose in mixed doubles - Sep 04, 2012
- Australian Open: Bhupathi-Bopanna, Sania-Vesnina enter doubles pre-quarters - Jan 21, 2012
- Paes-Vesnina beat top seeds to enter Wimbledon final - Jul 08, 2012
- Paes-Stepanek storm into final of Australian Open - Jan 26, 2012
- Sania-Vesnina in Dubai Open semis - Feb 23, 2012
- Wimbledon: Paes-Vesnina win, walkover for Bopanna-Zheng - Jul 05, 2012
- French Open: Sania-Bhupathi in final, Paes-Vesnina knocked out (Lead) - Jun 07, 2012
- Australian Open: Mirza and Vesnina advance to second round - Jan 19, 2012
Tags: ace, czech republic, elena likhovtseva, elena vesnina, India, indo, iveta benesova, jurgen melzer, london, mahesh bhupathi, mary pierce, match, russia, russian pair, seeds, target, third game, wimbledon, wimbledon mixed doubles