Bhupathi, Knowles falter at final hurdle in Madrid MastersOctober 20th, 2008 - 6:07 pm ICT by IANS
Madrid, Oct 20 (IANS) India’s Mahesh Bhupathi and Mark Knowels of Bahamas lost to the Polish pair of Marcin Matkowski and Mariusz Fyrstenberg 4-6, 2-6 in the doubles final of Madrid Masters. It is the first ATP Masters Series title for the seventh seeded Poles, who finished runners-up to Bob and Mike Bryan here last season.
The victory gave seventh-seeded Matkowski and Fyrstenberg their second ATP title of the season Sunday. They were in fine form and knocked out second seeds and Wimbledon champions Daniel Nestor and Nenad Zimonjic in the quarterfinals. They saved three match points in their semifinal win over Jeff Coetzee and Wesley Moodie.
Fourth seeded Bhupathi and Knowles were chasing their third ATP title of the season after triumphing at Memphis and Dubai, but ran out of steam in the finals.
The Poles got one break in the ninth game, which was sufficient to seal the opening set.
They quickly built on their advantage, to take a 2-0 lead in the second set. Bhupathi and Knowles fought back to level 2-2, but their opponents went on to break serve twice more in the fifth and seventh games to secure victory after one hour.
- Bhupathi-Bopanna knock out top seeds to make semis - May 19, 2012
- Bopanna-Qureshi win Paris Masters - Nov 14, 2011
- Bhupathi-Mirnyi to clash with Nestor-Zimonjic in World Tour Finals - Nov 28, 2010
- Bhupathi and Paes crash out of ATP World Tour finals - Nov 27, 2011
- Bopanna-Qureshi lose third consecutive match - Nov 24, 2011
- Paes-Bhupathi advance to semis, Bopanna-Qureshi out - Aug 20, 2011
- Bhupathi-Bopanna in quarters of Internazionali BNL D'Italia - May 18, 2012
- Bhupathi-Mirnyi in semifinals of ATP World Tour Finals - Nov 27, 2010
- Bopanna-Bhupathi, Paes-Stepanek out of Madrid Open - May 13, 2012
- Bhupathi-Knowles in semifinals of Cincinnati Masters - Aug 22, 2009
- Bhupathi-Paes through to Australian Open semi-finals - Jan 26, 2011
- Paes-Bhupathi beat Bryan twins, enter semis at Tour finals - Nov 26, 2011
- Olympics: Bhupathi-Bopanna seeded seventh, Federer top seed - Jul 26, 2012
- Rogers Cup: Sania, Paes, Bhupathi and Bopanna move up - Aug 10, 2012
- Sania and Paes move up, Bhupathi-Bopanna lose (Lead) - Aug 11, 2012