Bhupathi in doubles third round, Bopanna crashes outJanuary 24th, 2009 - 4:24 pm ICT by IANS
Melbourne, Jan 24 (IANS) India’s Mahesh Bhupathi continued his surge in the Australian Open doubles as he advanced to the third round with partner Mark Knowles of the Bahamas at the Melbourne Park here Saturday.Third seeded Bhupathi and Knowles overcame a spirited challenge from Russians Igor Kunitsyn and Dmitry Tursunov 7-5, 7-5 in an hour-and-a-half.
The duo will clash with Nicolas Lapentti of Ecuador and Spain’s Tommy Robredo, who eased past India’s Rohan Bopanna and Jarkko Nieminen of Finland 6-4, 6-4 in an hour-long encounter.
Bhupathi’s former partner, Leander Paes is already in the third round with Czech Lukas Dlouhy and will next meet Paul Hanley and Jordan Kerr of Australia.
Bhupathi and Knowles converted four of their nine break points. They got seven break points and managed to convert two to take the first set in 50 minutes. Kunitsyn and Tursunov made 12 unforced errors and could convert only one of their five break points to make things easier for their opponents.
In the second set, Bhupathi and Knowles broke Kunitsyn and Tursunov twice and conceded their serve once to close out the set in 42 minutes.
Bhupathi and Knowles have enjoyed success last year and won three titles in seven finals. They are both past Australian Open finalists. Knowles won in 2002 with Daniel Nestor, with whom he also finished as runners-up in 1995 and 2003. Bhupathi reached the final in 1999 with Paes.
- Bhupathi-Bopanna reach quarters of Dubai Open - Mar 01, 2012
- Indian Wells: Paes-Stepanek advance, Bhupathi-Bopanna knocked out - Mar 11, 2012
- Wimbledon: Sania-Bhupathi lose, Paes-Stepanek surge ahead (Lead) - Jun 30, 2012
- Paes-Stepanek in finals, Mahesh-Bhupathi out - Mar 30, 2012
- Paes-Stepanek storm into final of Australian Open - Jan 26, 2012
- Bhupathi-Bopanna toil; Paes-Stepanek cruise into second round - Jan 18, 2012
- Paes, Bhupathi in Australian Open doubles quarters - Jan 26, 2009
- Bhupathi-Bopanna, Paes-Stepanek advance to Miami quarters - Mar 27, 2012
- French Open: Paes in mixed doubles quarters, exits from doubles - May 28, 2011
- French Open: Paes on course for his 12th Grand Slam - Jun 03, 2010
- Paes-Bhupathi move into third round of Australian Open - Jan 22, 2011
- Australian Open: Paes-Bhupathi advance, Bopanna-Qureshi exit - Jan 24, 2011
- Wimbledon: Paes-Bhupathi crash out in second round - Jun 25, 2011
- Bhupathi-Venina in mixed doubles final of Wimbledon - Jul 03, 2011
- Paes pockets 50th doubles title with Miami win - Apr 01, 2012
Tags: australian open, australian open doubles, break points, daniel nestor, dmitry tursunov, hour and a half, jarkko nieminen, jordan kerr, leander paes, lukas dlouhy, mahesh bhupathi, mark knowles, melbourne park, nicolas lapentti, partner mark, paul hanley, rohan bopanna, spirited challenge, tommy robredo, unforced errors