Bhupathi-Bopanna start Olympics campaign with win (Second Lead)July 31st, 2012 - 12:30 am ICT by IANS
London, July 30 (IANS) India’s Mahesh Bhupathi and Rohan Bopanna started their Olympics campaign with a hard fought win against Max Mirnyi and Alexander Bury in the first round of men’s doubles at the Wimbledon here Monday.
The seventh seed pair of Bhupathi and Bopanna, who had revolted against the All India Tennis Association (AITA) decision of pairing them with Leander Paes, won 7-6 (7-4), 6-7 (4-7) and 8-6 in a match that lasted two hours and 26 minutes.
Bhupathi and Bopanna next face French duo Julien Benneteau and Richard Gasquet.
Meanwhile, Indian Davis Cupper Vishnu Vardhan’s dream outing in the Olympics men’s singles was short-lived as he went down in straight sets to Slovenia’s Blaz Kavcic in the first round.
Vardhan, who was lucky to get a slot in the men’s singles event at the eleventh hour as German Phillip Kohlschreiber pulled out due to a hamstring injury, lost 3-6, 2-6 in 72 minutes.
The 304th-ranked Indian, whose strong point is his serve, was broken thrice in the first set and it was no different in the second. Before Vardhan could get the hang of it, he was down 1-4 and the World No.76 Slovenian walked through to the second round.
Vardhan was hardly in the match and he committed far too many unforced errors.
The 25-year-old will now partner Leander Paes in the men’s doubles and the Indian pair takes on the Dutch duo of Robin Haase and Jean-Julien Rojer later in the day.
- Olympic tennis: Paes-Vardhan, Bhupathi-Bopanna in second round (Third Lead) - Jul 31, 2012
- Bhupathi-Bopanna start Olympics campaign with win (Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
- Olympic tennis: Vardhan loses in first round - Jul 30, 2012
- Tough draw for Indians in men's doubles tennis - Jul 26, 2012
- Olympics: India tennis doubles matches postponed - Jul 29, 2012
- Olympics: Lucky Vardhan to play tennis singles too - Jul 29, 2012
- Olympic tennis: Last chance for Paes and Bhupathi (Preview) - Jul 27, 2012
- Olympic tennis: Rebel pair of Bhupathi-Bopanna knocked out (Lead) - Aug 01, 2012
- Bopanna-Bhupathi in quarters of Madrid Open - May 10, 2012
- Olympics: first medal in, hopes alive in badminton and tennis (Overall India Roundup) - Jul 31, 2012
- Olympics: Shooter Gagan wins India's first medal a bronze (India Roundup) - Jul 30, 2012
- Olympics: Shooter Gagan wins bronze, Saina advances (Intro Roundup) - Jul 31, 2012
- Olympic tennis: Paes-Saina crash out of mixed doubles (Lead) - Aug 05, 2012
- Olympic tennis: Paes-Sania crash out of mixed doubles (Second Lead) - Aug 05, 2012
- Good day for Indians in Australian Open - Jan 20, 2012
Tags: aita, blaz, cupper, dutch duo, eleventh hour, french duo, indian pair, jean julien, julien benneteau, kohlschreiber, leander paes, mahesh bhupathi, max mirnyi, richard gasquet, robin haase, rohan bopanna, straight sets, tennis association, unforced errors, vishnu vardhan