Bhupathi-Bopanna finish runners-up in CincinnatiAugust 20th, 2012 - 4:29 pm ICT by IANS
Cincinnati, Aug 20 (IANS) India’s Mahesh Bhupathi and Rohan Bopanna came up short against Robert Lindstedt and Horia Tecau in the men’s doubles final at the Western and Southern Open tennis tournament here.
The sixth seeds Sunday night lost 4-6, 4-6 to fourth seeded duo of Lindstedt and Tecau, who qualified for the ATP World Tour Finals with their first Masters 1000 Series crown, ATP website reported.
Lindstedt and Tecau are the third team to qualify for the prestigious circuit finale, to be held Nov 5-12 at The O2 in London, joining Bob Bryan/Mike Bryan and Max Mirnyi/Daniel Nestor. The Swedish-Romanian pair made their World Tour Finals debut last year.
Bhupathi and Bopanna were bidding to lift their second trophy of the season after winning the Dubai Open in February. Bhupathi, a two-time Cincinnati titlist, fell to a 50-42 mark in tour-level finals and Bopanna to 8-13.
In the final, Lindstedt and Tecau capitalised on three of their nine break points before closing out the 67-minute contest on serve. They had advanced to their second Masters 1000 final with victory over the top-ranked Bryan Brothers in the semi-finals.
Lindstedt and Tecau were contesting their fourth final from their past five tournaments. They won titles on grass in ’s-Hertogenbosch and on clay in Bastad, were finalists at Wimbledon and reached the semi-finals last week in Toronto. They have compiled a 19-2 mark during that stretch, taking their season record to 41-15.
The duo also won the Bucharest title in April and were runners-up in Rotterdam and at the Madrid Open. Since joining forces in early 2010, they have won 10 titles together.
- Bopanna-Qureshi lose Pilot Pen final - Aug 29, 2010
- Bhupathi-Bopanna in Cincinnati final - Aug 19, 2012
- Bhupathi-Bopanna knock out top seeds to make semis - May 19, 2012
- Bhupathi-Bopanna lose in Rome Masters' semis - May 20, 2012
- Bopanna-Bhupathi, Paes-Stepanek out of Madrid Open - May 13, 2012
- Paes-Bhupathi beat Bryan twins, enter semis at Tour finals - Nov 26, 2011
- Bopanna-Qureshi shock Bhupathi-Mirnyi in New Haven - Aug 28, 2010
- Paes-Bhupathi lose first round encounter in London - Nov 21, 2011
- Bhupathi-Bopanna win Dubai Open title - Mar 03, 2012
- Paes-Stepanek storm into final of Australian Open - Jan 26, 2012
- Bopanna-Qureshi win Paris Masters - Nov 14, 2011
- Paes-Bhupathi out of Shanghai Masters - Oct 15, 2011
- Bhupathi-Bopanna reach semis at Miami - Mar 28, 2012
- Bopanna drops out of top-10 doubles ranking - Nov 28, 2011
- Sweet victory: Leander Paes, Mahesh Bhupathi clinch Cincinnati title (Lead) - Aug 22, 2011
Tags: atp website, atp world tour, bob bryan, break points, bucharest, daniel nestor, dubai open, lindstedt, mahesh bhupathi, max mirnyi, nov 5, o2, open tennis tournament, rohan bopanna, rotterdam, runners, s hertogenbosch, semi finals, titlist, wimbledon