Bhupathi-Bopanna dropped from Davis Cup teamAugust 18th, 2012 - 5:57 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 18 (IANS) The All India Tennis Association (AITA) Saturday decided to drop Mahesh Bhupathi and Rohan Bopanna from the Davis Cup team that will take on New Zealand Sep 14.
The decision was made in a meeting of the AITA selection committee under the chairmanship of Anil Dhupar.
The committee also had a telephonic conversation with S.P. Misra, the captain of the Indian Davis Cup team.
Bharat Ojha, secretary general of AITA, informed the committee that the AITA executive committee meeting had taken place July 1 and had decided not to consider Bhupathi and Bopanna for the selection of the Davis Cup team against New Zealand.
This view of the executive committee was endorsed by the president of AITA Yashwant Sinha.
“Mahesh and Rohan were available but were not considered in view of the stand taken by them regarding the selection for the Olympics team,” Ojha told reporters.
“The Davis Cup team has been selected on the basis of our Olympic show. We are going with a young team keeping in mind the future.”
The chairman thereafter took the views of the selectors. He mentioned that Somdev Devvarman has not yet recovered fully from his operation and has expressed a desire to be left out of the current team and he has stated he would be available for the ties next year.
Leander Paes has also expressed a desire not to be considered for the Davis Cup tie against New Zealand.
Davis Cup squad:
Yuki Bhambri, Vishnu Vardhan, Saketh Myneni, Divij Sharan, Sanam K Singh, Sriram Balaji Narayanaswamy
- Mahesh Bhupathi opts out of Davis Cup tie - Mar 06, 2012
- Davis Cup: India captain weighs his options - Sep 12, 2012
- Maken retreats; AITA, Bhupathi back to square one (Roundup) - Jun 19, 2012
- AITA backs Paes, gives sports ministry five options - Jun 19, 2012
- It's for AITA to pick the Olympic team, says Maken (Lead) - Jun 19, 2012
- Somdev to lead Indian challenge in Davis Cup, CWG - Aug 13, 2010
- Davis Cup: Bhambri plays King-Turner, Vardhan vs. Statham - Sep 13, 2012
- AITA asks sports ministry to convince warring players (Roundup) - Jun 18, 2012
- AITA to take action against Bhupathi, Bopanna - Jun 21, 2012
- Bhupathi-AITA trade charges against each other (Roundup) - Sep 18, 2012
- Krishna jumps in, but no solution for Olympic tennis team - Jun 20, 2012
- National Tennis: Vishnu, Yuki breeze into semis - Oct 13, 2011
- Yuki, Vardhan ready for Olympics (Lead) - Jun 20, 2012
- Paes serves a threat, AITA defers Olympics selection (Roundup) - Jun 20, 2012
- Country comes before other commitments: Khanna - Jun 16, 2012
Tags: aita, balaji, chairmanship, current team, davis cup, davis cup squad, davis cup team, davis cup tie, leander paes, mahesh bhupathi, ojha, olympics team, rohan bopanna, sanam, sriram, telephonic conversation, tennis association, vishnu vardhan, yashwant sinha, yuki bhambri