Bhupathi and Sania win Australian Open mixed doubles title (Lead)February 1st, 2009 - 2:23 pm ICT by IANS
Melbourne, Feb 1 (IANS) Mahesh Bhupathi won his 11th Grand Slam title, the first with an Indian partner Sania Mirza when they beat Israel’s Andy Ram and Nathalie Dechy of France in the Australian Open final here Sunday.It was Bhupathi’s seventh mixed doubles title while Sania become the first Indian woman to win a Grand Slam.
Bhupathi, 34, had reached the men’s doubles final here with Mark Knowles of Bahamas but went down to No.2 seeds American twins Bob and Mike Bryan Saturday.
Bhupathi and Sania were at their dominating best and dispatched Ram and Dechy 6-3, 6-1 in just 55 minutes at Melbourne Park.
Bhupathi’s first mixed doubles title came way back in 1997 with Rita Hiraki in the French Open. He went on to win two Wimbledon titles (Elena Likhovtseva, 2002 and Mary Pierce, 2005), two US Open (Ai Sugiyama, 1999 and Daniela Hantuchova, 2005), and his last one came here with Martina Hingis in 2006.
The Banglorean has four men’s doubles title, three of which came with Leander Paes with whom he once formed a formidable pair.
For 22-year-old Sania, who burst onto the international scene in 2005 reaching the third round of Australian Open, it is her maiden Grand Slam.
The Indians had reached the final here last year, but finished runners-up as they lost to Chinese Tian-Tian Sun and Nenad Zimonjic of Serbia. They entered this year as unseeded, but went on to play outstanding tennis throughout the tournament.
Bhupathi and Sania were in control of the match right from the start as they broke Ram in his first service game. The Israeli-French pair came back to snap Sania’s service in the fourth game and draw level 3-3.
The Indians then broke Dechy’s service with some outstanding returns. They cracked Ram once again in the ninth game with some fine volleying to win the first set in 28 minutes.
Bhupathi and Sania raised their game in the second set and quickly went 5-1 up, breaking their opponents twice. Sania then held her serve to finish the match.
- Bhupathi's unique mixed doubles record - Jun 08, 2012
- Mahesh and Sania cap a memorable Australian Open (Roundup) - Feb 01, 2009
- Bhupathi makes it a first all-India affair in mixed Grand Slam (Second Lead) - Feb 01, 2009
- Sania Mirza goes down fighting to Henin in opening round of Australian Open - Jan 17, 2011
- Sania-Bhupathi claim maiden French Open crown (Lead) - Jun 08, 2012
- French Open: Sania-Bhupathi in final, Paes-Vesnina knocked out (Lead) - Jun 07, 2012
- Sania-Bhupathi sail into French Open final (Lead) - Jun 06, 2012
- Bhupathi senior happy Mahesh's win came with Sania - Feb 01, 2009
- Sania Mirza to face Justine Henin in Australian Open - Jan 16, 2011
- India pin hopes on doubles at Australian Open - Jan 15, 2012
- Bhupathi-Vesnina lose in Wimbledon mixed doubles final (Lead) - Jul 04, 2011
- Bhupathi wins his 11th Grand Slam, first for Sania (Statistics) - Feb 01, 2009
- Olympic medal next target: Sania - Jun 08, 2012
- Olympic tennis: Tricky draw for Paes-Sania - Aug 01, 2012
- Tricky issues confront tennis selectors - Jun 14, 2012
Tags: ai sugiyama, andy ram, australian open mixed doubles, bob and mike, daniela hantuchova, elena likhovtseva, finished runners, grand slam title, hiraki, indian partner, leander paes, mahesh bhupathi, mark knowles, martina hingis, melbourne park, nathalie dechy, nenad zimonjic, service game, tian tian sun, wimbledon titles