Bhullar extends lead to nine strokes at Players ChampionshipMay 8th, 2009 - 10:27 pm ICT by IANS
Aamby Valley (Maharashtra), May 8 (IANS) Gaganjeet Bhullar produced a six under 66 in round three of the PGTI Players Championship presented by Aamby Valley Golf Club to extend his lead to nine strokes here Friday.
Bhullar (66, 67, 66) now has an overall score of 17-under 199. Harmeet Kahlon (73, 64, 71), who returned one under 71, is currently placed second at eight under 208.
Bhullar, the leader for the third successive day, put up a solid effort in the third round to establish himself as the firm favourite for the title. Bhullar began his penultimate round with a bang, picking up birdies on the second and third holes. When he sank his third birdie on the seventh, he looked all set for a very low score yet again.
Bhullar’s lone bogey on the 11th seemed to come against the run of play. However, he soon started pulling away from the rest of the pack as he birdied the 13th, 14th, 15th and 17th.
“I was struggling a bit with my driving on the first few holes but then started hitting it better as the round progressed. A few pin positions on the back nine were not easy to negotiate but I think I played really well on those particular holes. The par three 15th is one of my favourite holes on this course. I have birdied the 15th on all three occasions this week,” said Bhullar.
Vikrant Chopra (69, 72, 70), another Delhi golfer, fired two under 70 on Friday to join Arjun Singh in tied third place.
Nabin Mandal (four under 212) of Kolkata is a further stroke behind in fifth position.
Mukesh Kumar is tied ninth at one under 215. Pravin Pathare is the highest-placed professional from Pune at tied 35th. His score stands at seven over 223. Rajiv Datar of Pune is in tied 38th place with an overall score of eight over 224.
- PGTI Players Championship: Lahiri leads by two strokes - Jul 01, 2010
- Lahiri registers impressive six-stroke win - May 15, 2010
- Bhullar bags eighth PGTI title - May 07, 2010
- Bhullar bags third professional golf title - May 10, 2009
- Ashok Kumar in lead after third round in Panasonic Open - Mar 31, 2012
- Lahiri maintains lead in Aircel PGTI golf - Jun 30, 2010
- Lahiri leads pack at SAIL-SBI Open golf - Feb 23, 2012
- Lahiri moves to top, Malik close second in BILT Open golf - Oct 29, 2010
- Faldo golf: Cheema seventh overall, second in U-21 - Mar 15, 2012
- Jaini ahead by two strokes in PGTI Players Championship - Jun 22, 2010
- Lahiri, Chopra share lead in BILT Open - Nov 05, 2009
- Ajeetesh, Jaini finish third and fourth at Sail Open golf - Mar 25, 2011
- Lahiri fires 69 to take lead - Aug 09, 2012
- Two shot lead for Arjun Sharma in North India golf - Mar 13, 2012
- Lahiri clinches PGTI golf title - Jul 02, 2010
Tags: arjun singh, birdie, birdies, bogey, datar, fifth position, harmeet, holes, kolkata, maharashtra, mandal, occasions, pin positions, players championship, pune, rajiv, stroke, strokes, valley golf club, vikrant