Bhullar bags third professional golf titleMay 10th, 2009 - 12:42 am ICT by IANS
Aamby Valley (Maharashtra), May 9 (IANS) Gaganjeet Bhullar recorded his third professional win Saturday when he fired a bogey-free four under 68 on the final day of the PGTI Players Championship presented by the Aamby Valley Golf Club.
This also happened to be the 21-year-old’s third straight win on the Aircel PGTI as he had earlier taken home the winner’s purse in his last two appearances on the tour (Panchkula and Jaipur).
Bhullar totalled 21 under 267 for the tournament to register a comprehensive 10-stroke victory. Harmeet Kahlon secured second place as he finished with an overall score of 11 under 277.
Bhullar (66, 67, 66, 68) capitalised on his overnight nine-stroke lead with a solid final round Saturday. He maintained his huge lead over nearest rival Harmeet Kahlon through the day with some top-class hitting and putting.
The Kapurthala-based professional bagged his first birdie on the fifth, where he hit his lob wedge approach to within five feet of the pin. He then sank a 25-footer to birdie the eighth.
Bhullar earned his third birdie of the day with an excellent chip-putt from the right edge of the 12th green (par five). On the very next par five, the 14th, Bhullar hit the green in two and made a relatively easy two-putt to pick up another birdie.
“It’s great to have another win under my belt. I played a solid round today and did not think about playing safe at any stage despite being way ahead on the leaderboard,” said an ecstatic Bhullar.
Kahlon (73, 64, 71, 69) hung in there on the final day with a three under 69 to secure second place. Kahlon birdied the second, third, 11th, 16th and dropped a lone bogey on the 10th.
Vikrant Chopra and Arjun Singh shared third place at seven under 281 while Amardip Singh Malik and Rahil Gangjee were a further three strokes behind in tied fifth place. Mukesh Kumar’s tournament total of two under 286 placed him tied eighth.
- Rohana snatches dramatic win in PGTI golf - Aug 10, 2012
- Harendra takes lead in Haryana Open golf - Sep 24, 2009
- Bhullar bags eighth PGTI title - May 07, 2010
- Lahiri moves to top, Malik close second in BILT Open golf - Oct 29, 2010
- Siddikur delights home crowd; Sujjan Singh finishes second - Jan 29, 2010
- PGTI Players Championship: Lahiri leads by two strokes - Jul 01, 2010
- Jaini, Bhullar, Das chase Siddikur at Panasonic Open - Mar 30, 2012
- Lahiri registers impressive six-stroke win - May 15, 2010
- Lahiri fires 69 to take lead - Aug 09, 2012
- Lahiri leads pack at SAIL-SBI Open golf - Feb 23, 2012
- Sanjay Kumar fires 66 to grab first round lead - Jan 25, 2010
- Ajeetesh, Jaini finish third and fourth at Sail Open golf - Mar 25, 2011
- Lahiri maintains lead in Aircel PGTI golf - Jun 30, 2010
- Digvijay Singh wins Panasonic Open India - Apr 01, 2012
- Ashok Kumar pockets PGTI title - Dec 19, 2009
Tags: arjun singh, birdie, bogey, chopra, five feet, golf title, jaipur, kahlon, leaderboard, lob wedge, maharashtra, malik, panchkula, pgti, players championship, professional golf, rahil gangjee, stroke victory, valley golf club, vikrant