Bhowmick takes over as Mohun Bagan technical directorDecember 15th, 2010 - 12:28 am ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Dec 14 (IANS) Subhas Bhowmick Tuesday took over as technical director of the beleaguered Mohun Bagan soccer team, saying he was taking up the job as a challenge.Bhowmick’s appointment came a day after Stanley Rozario quit as chief coach, following the club’s lacklustre performance this season.
Asked how challenging would be the job, Bhowmick replied: “You cannot grade challenges and Mohun Bagan is a big name in Indian football…it is a challenge for any coach.”
Club general secretary Anjan Mitra said Bhowmick would continue till the end of the season but the formal contract was yet to be signed.
This would be Bhowmick’s second stint as a Mohun Bagan official, after a brief and ordinary association as coach in 1991.
Bhowmick, a dashing forward of the 1960s and 1970s, conceded that Mohun Bagan were under pressure after a series of poor performances.
“It is natural for the team to face a little mental pressure after its poor performances but this pressure will ease once the team starts delivering.”
Asked about his team’s key man Jose Barreto, Bhowmick said the Brazilian’s dedication and contribution to Indian soccer was immense. “I have respect for him”.
The technical director, who had his first practice session with the players Tuesday afternoon, said he would not field injured players.
“Injuries concerning players like Edeh Chidi, Muritala Ali have affected the team’s performance. For short term gain I will not allow injured players to play in a match,” he said.
Mohun Bagan are yet to win any trophy this season, and only managed to finish runners up in three tournaments - Federation Cup, Mohammedan Sporting Platinum Jubilee Cup and the local league. The celebrated club has also started the I-League on a wrong note, managing only a single point in three outings.
Bhowmick had earlier coached East Bengal to a memorable Asean Cup win in 2003, besides back-to-back National Football League titles.
- Mohun Bagan appoints Bhowmick as technical director - Dec 14, 2010
- Depleted Salgaocar face Mohun Bagan challenge - Apr 13, 2012
- Mohun Bagan face Pune in Barreto's farewell match - May 05, 2012
- Bagan forms three-member panel to keep tab on Darby - Oct 10, 2011
- Mohun Bagan's chief coach resigns - Dec 13, 2010
- Mohun Bagan chasing record 17th Durand Cup title - Sep 21, 2009
- Darby quits as coach of Mohun Bagan - Oct 15, 2011
- East Bengal, Mohun Bagan finish 1-1 in I-League - Feb 04, 2012
- Relegation threatened Chirag United face Mohun Bagan in I-League - Jan 30, 2012
- I-League: Pune FC take on Salgaocar - Apr 17, 2012
- Salgaocar lift Federation Cup (Lead) - Sep 29, 2011
- We can defeat Salgaocar, says Air India coach - Mar 30, 2012
- East Bengal face Mohun Bagan in I-League's Kolkata derby - Feb 03, 2012
- Legendary Jarnail Singh conferred Mohun Bagan Ratna posthumously - Jul 30, 2012
- Durand Cup: East Bengal crash out, Mohun Bagan demolish ONGC (Lead) - Sep 16, 2009
Tags: anjan, asean cup, chidi, chief coach, east bengal, federation cup, formal contract, indian football, indian soccer, key man, lacklustre performance, league titles, local league, national football league, platinum jubilee, poor performances, rozario, second stint, soccer team, term gain