Bhat reaches second round of China OpenNovember 19th, 2008 - 8:45 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 19 (IANS) India’s Arvind Bhat defeated Wee Chung Pei of Malaysia to move into the men’s singles second round of the China Open Super Series badminton at Shanghai Wednesday. Bhat, who beat Chung Pei 21-9, 21-13, will take on Petr Koukal of Czech in the next round.
However, Bhat was the lone Indian survivor in singles competition as Chetan Anand and Saina Nehwal lost their respective first round matches.
Anand lost to Malaysia’s Choong Hann Wong 10-21, 14-21 while Saina went down fighting to fifth seed Lin Zhu of China 6-21, 21-12, 19-21.
Saina though reached the doubles second round as she and her partner Canada’s Anna Rice got the better of Macau’s Ying Long and Ka Lei Mak 21-15, 21-17. They will now play Korean Jung Eun Ha and Min Jung Kim.
- Saina in second round of Malaysia Open Grand Prix - May 04, 2011
- Thailand Open: Saina struggles to get past first round - Jun 07, 2012
- India Open Super Series: Saina makes shock first round exit (Second Lead) - Apr 27, 2011
- Jayaram packs off World No. 9 at China Masters - Sep 12, 2012
- Thailand Open: Four Indians, including Saina, in quarters (Lead) - Jun 07, 2012
- India in quarterfinals of Thomas, Uber Cups - May 11, 2010
- India Open Super Series: Saina makes a tearful first round exit (Roundup) - Apr 27, 2011
- Saina, Kashyap shine on a gloomy day for India at Badminton Asian (Roundup) - Apr 15, 2010
- Saina, Kashyap give India reasons to smile (Lead) - Apr 14, 2010
- Jayaram, Gurusaidutt, Saina in Hong Kong Open quarterfinals - Nov 17, 2011
- India Open Super Series: Sourabh, Sai Datt keep India's hopes alive (Lead) - Apr 28, 2011
- India Open Super Series: Sourabh upsets Sony Dwi Kuncoro - Apr 27, 2011
- Saina, Chetan sail into third round on a day of upsets - Jun 09, 2010
- Anand, Bhat go down in Macau Open quarters - Aug 21, 2009
- Asian badminton: Ajay Jayaram goes down fighting - Apr 18, 2012